Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Feb 5th, 2012 05:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
NITROS44 wrote: Hi Epboi

Proud to be professional has covered some very important points,after all its better to to miss the items on a demo and learn buy your mistakes rather then miss them on a presenters cars and suffer the concequences:(

Its a lot harder to gain your status  as a nominated tester but quite easier to lose it,if your know what i mean:(

At the end of the day the VE is only doing his job and can see that something is not right with your demo tests as you have missed some major components and its his opinion and no one else"s weather to pass you,

You maybe great in answering questions regards the test  and shows you  have studied the manual and well done,but the quality of the demo has to be matched:)

"Not meaning to be detrimental to the other testers" you know but it could be down to them  guiding you and you are picking up bad habits from them that is having a influence to some degree on to your testing ,so  it could be them that may be contributing to the problem or it may well be down to yourself and lack of practice /preperation.;)

Only the other day i carried out a quality control check on a new tester that checked the opening of the fuel filler cap outside in the car park and sounded the horn on the way into the test bay not logged on to vts device yet,but did not check them during the test,he did this as at the last place he worked at the other testers did that so he picked up bad habits from other testers so to speak and had been getting away with it,so can you see what i am trying to say here:)

I would agree with proud to be professional regarding more practice,but this means practice,practice,practice,practice,the more you practice something ,,,,the more you get better at doing it .....the better you get the more confident you become,the more confident you become,,,the less nervous you will be.:cool:

My daughter once failed a driving test down to lack of preperation,everytime she goes to do something know important; the phrase i use is this.

"IF YOU FAIL TO PREPARE FOR SOMETHING,,,,THEN YOU MIGHT AS WELL PREPARE TO FAIL"

Another thing to note is it might not be a bad idea to attend  a refresher course as this will give you the oppotunity to watch another demo test being done by a VOSA technical trainer and other content within the course,there is a charge for this but may well be worth it in the end.;)

Failing that if you live in the northeast of England i can offer my services free of charge to help you as an "EXPERT" MOT TESTER:cool:

Thats the type of guy i am :dude:lol

"no pi**taking allowed in the motortrade", and "absolutely none" where you work. lol.:P

as they say, the old ones are the gooduns. lol:P and that particular one, "ex-pert" is one of the oldest in the book.;)

:dude:, If One Portrays Oneself to be "King of the Castle" and chooses to pop Ones Head over the "Parapet".;) Then Be Prepared to be fired at.:P lol.

don`t retalliate, just use a little common sense and use the "preview" option. lol:P

ps; the phrase i use the most is "learning all the time" hope this helps.;)

Last edited on Sun Feb 5th, 2012 08:24 am by Wesley

Posted: Sun Feb 5th, 2012 12:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RFR

Mana: 
EXPERT:dude:

Posted: Sat Feb 4th, 2012 08:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Epboi

Mana: 
Thanks guys, ive started to practise the interior/under bonnet checks every car i sit in/repair/service as its these which i seem to forget

im going to book my course when unis out in the summer, as im starting to fall behind with my work so need to put the MOT stuff to one side for now

Thankyou for the offer NITROS44, I might take you up on it sometime....i attend uni at sunderland

i guess the VE wants me to 110% due to it being a part time job for me, chalked up nonetheless and im determind to get my status as a nominated tester

ill update when the time comes

thankyou again :D

Posted: Sat Feb 4th, 2012 03:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
I have trained a few people for demonstration tests & the way I do it is let them get on with the test while I watch closely .
if they miss something then they do that part of the test again , takes a while but seems to come up with decent results .

Posted: Sat Feb 4th, 2012 08:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
NITROS44

Mana: 
Wesley

Making a constructive contribution to the thread would be better then focusing on what i say, or are you incapable of this lol,;)however i can make allowances due to the fact that you dont know or understand the word EXPERT:dude: it seems,,but you do seem to be an expert in putting people down !! would i be correct in saying this you tell me:?

ps how long did it take you to think that one up lol:)

Posted: Sat Feb 4th, 2012 07:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
NITROS44 wrote: Hi Epboi

Proud to be professional has covered some very important points,after all its better to to miss the items on a demo and learn buy your mistakes rather then miss them on a presenters cars and suffer the concequences:(

Its a lot harder to gain your status  as a nominated tester but quite easier to lose it,if your know what i mean:(

At the end of the day the VE is only doing his job and can see that something is not right with your demo tests as you have missed some major components and its his opinion and no one else"s weather to pass you,

You maybe great in answering questions regards the test  and shows you  have studied the manual and well done,but the quality of the demo has to be matched:)

Not meaning to be detrimental to the other testers you know but it could be down to them  guiding you and you are picking up bad habits from them that is having a influence to some degree on to your testing ,so  it could be them that may be contributing to the problem or it may well be down to yourself and lack of practice /preperation.;)

Only the other day i carried out a quality control check on a new tester that checked the opening of the fuel filler cap outside in the car park and sounded the horn on the way into the test bay not logged on to vts device yet,but did not check them during the test,he did this as at the last place he worked at the other testers did that so he picked up bad habits from other testers so to speak and had been getting away with it,so can you see what i am trying to say here:)

I would agree with proud to be professional regarding more practice,but this means practice,practice,practice,practice,the more you practice something ,,,,the more you get better at doing it .....the better you get the more confident you become,the more confident you become,,,the less nervous you will be.:cool:

"My daughter once failed a driving test down to lack of preperation",everytime she goes to do something know important; the phrase i use is this.

"IF YOU FAIL TO PREPARE FOR SOMETHING,,,,THEN YOU MIGHT AS WELL PREPARE TO FAIL"

Another thing to note is it might not be a bad idea to attend  a refresher course as this will give you the oppotunity to watch another demo test being done by a VOSA technical trainer and other content within the course,there is a charge for this but may well be worth it in the end.;)

Failing that if you live in the northeast of England i can offer my services free of charge to help you as an EXPERT MOT TESTER:cool:

Oh!:shock: such a shame "Your Preperation"?:? Allowed your Daughter To "Fail" a "Basic" Driving Test!:shock::shock:

With a little "Roadcraft" Instruction? from your goodself? ;) Your Daughter, Could Have Passed "First Time":P LOL!:D

ps; is that? "ex" as in has been, and "spert" as in Drip!?:P:D

Last edited on Sat Feb 4th, 2012 07:36 am by Wesley

Posted: Sat Feb 4th, 2012 07:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
NITROS44

Mana: 
Hi Epboi

Not meaning to be detrimental to the other testers you know but it could be down to them  guiding you and you are picking up bad habits from them that is having a influence to some degree on to your testing ,so  it could be them that may be contributing to the problem or it may well be down to yourself and lack of practice /preperation.;)

My daughter once failed a driving test down to lack of preperation,everytime she goes to do something know important; the phrase i use is this.

Failing that if you live in the northeast of England i can offer my services free of charge to help you as an EXPERT MOT TESTER:cool:

Posted: Sat Feb 4th, 2012 02:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Epboi

Mana: 
Fair point.....he actually liked the routine and said its the same as his own....just i forgot certain things....

seems really petty to me tbh, ive heard of many others doing much worse and still passing....full demo test on both occasions.....:X

Posted: Sat Feb 4th, 2012 01:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Proud to be professional

Mana: 
Hi Epboi,

Welcome to the forum;)

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes with the local VE's who have assessed you previously. I heard quite some time ago that VOSA were improving their requirements as to how relaxed they should allow mistakes to be before they say a person must be retrained and have more experince before being allowed to test. Once you are authorised, you are legally allowed to make decisions and put vehicles on the road, where peoples lives are in your hands.

In the mot manual there is a VOSA approved routine, it may help you if you study that routine and use it, although depending on your mot bay layout you might have to slightly modify it.

One of your points you said that you normally check the function of the horn when bringing the vehicle into the test bay, and on that occassion because somebody else brought the vehicle in for you, you missed it on test?

The test does not start outside of the test bay, although you are permitted to carryout the pre-checks outside, then if the vehicle is in a fit condition for a test you can then put the vehicle in the test bay and record the details and register for the test.

The test begins only when it is registered via the VTS device, so anything you check before that point as a testable items, as far as the test is concerned, you have not checked it as part of the test.

To me it reads like you require more practice with the routine, the best advice I can give you is to do as many demo tests in training mode via the VTS device as you can with an expert mot tester working along side you to guide you. Once you feel confident that you can carry out the test in accordance with the VOSA approved recommendations, then you should contact your local area office for a VE to assess you.

Posted: Fri Feb 3rd, 2012 09:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Epboi

Mana: 
Hey all

(i apologise if this is in the wrong section)

the sites helped me alot with my journey to where i am now, abit about me

passed my ntta with flying colours

passed my 3 day training exams really well too

i study away at university full time....this is a part time skill i want, to go with my mechanical knowledge so i can make some extra cash for my uni fees and help my dad out

1st demo test i did the following wrong according to the examiner:
  • didnt check the rear fog light from outside
  • didnt open the passenger door from inside
  • lift the wipers off the screen (i just ran my hand under them to make sure they were ok)
  • pull on the steering wheel really hard (did check for play)
  • check the brake pipes when standing outside from the front arches (where they go into the engine bay)
  • had the bonnet up when checking the wash/wipe (was up to get the vin, doh!)
  • i was very rusty using the emmisions machine/roller brake tester
  • answered all of the technical questions with ease except the minimum brake pad thickness.....and i said check the center of the tyre should 1.6mm all around instead of central 3/4
  • missed checking to door mirrors
lesson learnt things need to improved.....spent some time at the garage with 2 testers and hampered my old man with questions aswell as looking through the testers book.....

8.30 this morning

Demo test 2 i did the following wrong according to the examiner:
  • didnt check the horn (would normally be a thing i do when bringing the car in but the car was on the ramp)
  • didnt check the steering lock with the key removed (did this in demo test 1 but genuinely forgot)
  • check the brake pipes when standing outside from the front arches (where they go into the engine bay)
  • should have also had a look at the steering rack gaitor from outside to see along it.....i visually inspected these when the assistant was doing lock to lock AND i put my hand around them and gave them a feel to make sure they were fine (he clearly wasnt looking.....i didnt look at them from outside last time but he never said anything..)
  • only turned the wheel one way (towards me) when checking off load from outside (again i didnt do this last time and he never said anything...)
  • had an issue with jacking the car up (different car from demo test 1) the jack doesnt reach all the way to sills but i made do with wood/metal blocks but to him it wasnt safe
  • used the little bar as a corrosion tool rather than the corrosion tool itself....
i answered all his questions with ease...missed fuel pipes when he asked me to recall what i should check under the bay and i forgot to check the front indicators which i remembered to do before i ended the test.....i didnt check door hinges on demo test 1 and did on demo test 2....yet he didnt say anything about it..

he wants me to do a refresher course and try another demo test.....:X

My question is did i genuinely deserve to fail the second time round? my old man (testing since i was a young-un) and a friend tester was present both times and said the questions he asked were very hard and i gave text book answers and that i should have passed the second test with a note to one of the more experince testers to keep an eye on me and help me along.....

any opinions? would you pass/fail me?

Current time is 11:47 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Training and Seminars - Reviews, Dates, Questions | MOT Forum > Failed demo test TWICE! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems