Demo test  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Mar 17th, 2014 02:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Dont feel you have to memorise everything cairns. Relevant first use dates etc are in the Manual.

The VE will be more interested in you being able to use the Manual to look up the answers.

Good luck. ;)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Mar 16th, 2014 05:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
DB9

Mana: 
Hi cairns,

Being honest I am not in a position to advise exactly what you would be asked, but I was taking the view that the more practice using all the facilities, testing routine,Testing Guide and manual via the VTS device, and getting experience of the VTS device using the training facility would give you more practice and confidence on the day.

The VE's are not looking for perfection, they know we are only human:D

Things the VE would probably look at asking are things like refusal to test items, emissions limits on a vehicle type first registered at x date say, they do like their first used dates, so my advise is to read up in the manual first used dates:)

So to start then;

Main beam warning lamp - What is the date of first use to use when deciding if a vehicle should pass or fail?

Tyre pressure monitoring systems - When should you fail them?

If you are presented with a Narrow Track Vehicle and this vehicle will not safely fit on your approved ramp, can you still test it?

If a Land Rover was presented for test with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 3150kg, and a class IV vehicle maximum gross weight is 3000kg, are you allowed to test it as a class IV?

You are presented with a vehicle that you tested 5 working days ago, you check the VT30 and you find that you failed the vehicle on emissions, while lifting on the hoist you notice that the nearside rear wheel has a space saver fitted, which was not fitted when tested, what action should you take?

More than likely a VE will not ask anything so advanced, but the above will keep you busy for a while, look into the testing manual and guide, get a good feel for their use and find the answers, the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Hope everything works out well for you.:cool:

Posted: Sun Mar 16th, 2014 04:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
cairns76

Mana: 
Hi there, yes I have a smart card which I can use, I've been practising more on the test routine rather than the vts device, I are they likely to ask a lot of questions relating to the vts, or would they be more interested in the routine ?

Cheers

Posted: Sun Mar 16th, 2014 06:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
DB9

Mana: 
I assume that you will have your smart card?

If my assumption is correct I would if in your position register vehicles via the VTS device in training mode and get as much familiarity with using the system as you can, i.e. looking up reasons for rejections and reasons why a test may not be carried out.

Also look up via F5 the special notices and become familiar with them, there is a lot to take in and many new changes we have seen over time now.

DPF's are now a test item as well as CATs.

The roller brake test methods are new unless your equipment cannot be used for the new standard of test, then if that is the case you are allowed to revert back to the old system of testing.

Loads more things I could write, but as already said;

Practice, practice and practice some more:)

Posted: Mon Mar 10th, 2014 06:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Favell
Trade Member

Mana: 
Practice,
develop a routine
practice
get an experience tester to watch you do dummy tests
more practice.

I would say developing your own routine is important, then you will know you are covering everything, and you will know if you miss part of the test sequence.

Posted: Mon Mar 10th, 2014 03:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
cairns76

Mana: 
Hi all, new to the forum, I've got my demo test coming up in the next couple of weeks, just wondering if anyone could offer any advice, tips or help on completing the test in front of the ve

Current time is 11:53 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Training and Seminars - Reviews, Dates, Questions | MOT Forum > Demo test Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems