MOT refusal  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
And suggesting an appeal might make him read it thoroughly.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 03:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi Merlin

You might want to re-visit your tester and ask him to read Section 3.1 of the Testers Manual.

I've copied & pasted the relevant section here for your benefit....

You must inspect bonnet catches on vehicles with a bonnet, which would obscure the driver’s view of the road if opened. The inspection is only for primary catches – those that hold the bonnet fully closed. Secondary safety catches aren't part of the inspection.

:)

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 03:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Merlin

Mana: 
Hi Kev,
Thanks just to clarify it a 2010 Vauxhall astra it did have secondary catch fitted from new but when I bought the car it was missing why the tester thinks this puts the bonnet in danger of opening inadvertently I don't know, should I appeal his decision ?

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 03:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi Merlin. You are quite right. Some cars longer have secondary Bonnet catches. If your car was originally fitted with a secondary catch and the main catch is fully functional, then this would be advisory, not a fail. If your car wasn’t fitted with one from new and the catch is working- it’s a straight pass.

Hope this helps.
Kev.

Posted: Wed Dec 5th, 2018 03:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Merlin

Mana: 
Hi could somebody advise me what is the definition of "bonnet in danger of opening in inadvertently" I have just had a vehicle mot failure issued along with a Danger do not drive under section 3.1 bonnet in danger of opening in inadvertently (secondary bonnet catch missing) the bonnet closes securely but there is no secondary bonnet catch fitted it also my understanding that the secondary bonnet catch does not form part of the MOT test anyway only the primary catch which is working fine, also my Father has a TVR and an old rolls and neither have secondary bonnet catch fitted from the factory, spoke to the vosa help line
they don't seam to know just some random bod who was clueless.

Current time is 02:15 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > MOT refusal Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems