board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal



 Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, martins, KevG, bimmer Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
NTT Test  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Oct 9th, 2008 02:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
big..E.
Trade Member
 

Joined: Wed Jan 30th, 2008
Location: Um Bongo Um Bongo They Drink It In The, Congo
Posts: 685
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
.

Last edited on Thu Oct 9th, 2008 02:37 am by big..E.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 9th, 2008 01:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
kev1975
Trade Member
 

Joined: Wed Sep 5th, 2007
Location:  
Posts: 912
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
mjk wrote: The answer, as I see it, is the same reason why Transits have bigger wheel cylinders than Ka's. Martin
couldn't have put it better myself , you should have posted this about 4 pages ago ;)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Thu Oct 9th, 2008 01:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
mjk
Trade Member
 

Joined: Wed Nov 21st, 2007
Location: Abingdon, United Kingdom
Posts: 93
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
The answer, as I see it, is the same reason why Transits have bigger wheel cylinders than Ka's. Martin

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 12:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
knowlep
Member
 

Joined: Sun May 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 24
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Unless we try it in practice who knows the REAL answer compared to the THEORETICAL answer and on what kind of caliper / twin shoe arangement etc they were talking about in the exam and what effect a larger piston diameter would have.

It's an interesting debate and I'd love to ask the person who set the question for the NTT exam themselves on their opinion.

One other final take on this is that the smaller piston has less volume of fluid behind it in the caliper compared to the larger piston so, as the master cylinder travels down its stroke, the smaller piston would contact the disc earlier than the larger piston but would not produce a braking effort until the pressure equalised throughout the system by which time the larger piston is also contacting its own disc and based on the simple "Hydraulics" theory (i.e. small piston movement produces a larger force in a larger diameter piston albeit on a much reduced stroke which is why you have to pump the handle on a bottle jack for instance) then the larger piston would still create a greater stopping power.

Flippin eck - did I just write all that in one long sentence???:?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 04:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
Wesley
Trade Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 25th, 2007
Location: Wanted
Posts: 1841
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
David wrote:

"Now when the service brake pedal is depressed, the force applied to the brake fluid creates a pressure which is constant throughout, undiminished".:?

When the service brake pedal is depressed, It Actually creates Flow, and very limited in its travel.

Its the resistance to flow that will create a pressure!

I`m getting bored now, laters, Wes.;)





 


Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 04:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Wesley
Trade Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 25th, 2007
Location: Wanted
Posts: 1841
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
David wrote: Hi Dubsy

That's the problem with VOSA, they have not passed the old age Mini with twin leading front brake shoes and drums, they still think in the sixties and seventies, like most of us now who only see brake discs and calipers at the front, so naturally I misread the post skimping over it and assumed brake discs and calipers, but the physics is right, which clearly illustrated which way the brakes would pull over. I used larger diameters for a reason. Anybody can disagree with it, but its right and VOSA would agree.:D and the next part from that I could use the results gained to prove how much effort a tester applies to the brake pedal to get your roller brake test readings, not just assuming, and don't need to be there?

So just imagine what VOSA senior Engineers could do with your brake test readings entered into computerisation, you say three wheels locked out, they/I could work out the readings you have given would not justify the forces involved, therefore could say that the minimum brake efficiency had not been met, allowing for an average additional 140Kg?

David:D


;) LOL!  

I think this was put to bed a long time ago? Why didn`t you join in when current?

Good Fishing?:D

Laters, Wes..........:P

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Oct 8th, 2008 12:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
knowlep
Member
 

Joined: Sun May 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 24
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Final Extract from Davids formula says :-

Now we can do the same for the offside front, but this time we will change the diameter, let’s say 05mm less.

A = d/4 = 3.142•34.3/4 = 26.94 4sf.


0.25•26.94 = 6.73N or 67.3 Bar. So as can be seen the offside front brake efficiency is less when the diameter and the area are less, therefore the brakes would pull to the nearside when applied.

Nearside front working pressure = 98.3 Bar

Offside front working pressure    = 67.3 Bar

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding

David:D


 

WES

If you can,t see  from the above extract in RED that the brakes pull towards the NEAR SIDE WITH THE LARGER piston then I give up.:(

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Tue Oct 7th, 2008 12:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
knowlep
Member
 

Joined: Sun May 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 24
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Not at all - I believe Davids formula to be quite correct. There are no contradictions in his formula. It quite clearly states larger caliper piston therefore larger braking force.

I hope that David can comment on this topic and for then I think we should agree to disagree.

 

:D:D

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Oct 7th, 2008 04:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
Wesley
Trade Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 25th, 2007
Location: Wanted
Posts: 1841
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
So Your real issue is with Davids contradictions?:?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Oct 6th, 2008 12:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
knowlep
Member
 

Joined: Sun May 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 24
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Final Extract from Davids formula says :-

Now we can do the same for the offside front, but this time we will change the diameter, let’s say 05mm less.

A = d/4 = 3.142•34.3/4 = 26.94 4sf.


0.25•26.94 = 6.73N or 67.3 Bar. So as can be seen the offside front brake efficiency is less when the diameter and the area are less, therefore the brakes would pull to the nearside when applied.

Nearside front working pressure = 98.3 Bar

Offside front working pressure    = 67.3 Bar

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding

David:D


 

Therefore if the off side diameter is 0.5mm LESS that's-- LESS-- or SMALLER and the final applied pressure is LESS or 67.3Bar compared to 98.3 on the nearside (which has a LARGER piston) car will pull towards the greater force or GREATER DIAMETER PISTON.

No insults from me BTW - too professional.

:dude::dude:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Oct 6th, 2008 04:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Rebel
Trade Member


Joined: Fri Aug 25th, 2006
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Posts: 242
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
"No wonder there are some many unecessary new parts fitted to customers"


Snigger :P

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Oct 6th, 2008 04:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Wesley
Trade Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 25th, 2007
Location: Wanted
Posts: 1841
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
David wrote: knowlep wrote: I believe that interestingly enough Dubsys thoroughly written explanation / calculation is correct however he has based it on the OSF piston diameter being SMALLER than the NSF where the actual question in the exam is the opposite way round .........eh??

So the car would pull to the OFF SIDE or RIGHT i.e. towards the larger diameter piston.;)


Hi

I think avocco originally said;

3. A car is accidentally fitted with O/S/F wheel cylinders that have pistons 2.0mm GREATER in DIAMETER than the N/S/F wheel cylinders pistons. This is likely to cause ?
C = the brakes to pull to the N/S

Please read my previous post explaining hydraulics operation with reference to a braking system, please remember when reading that I made up the example to explain how brakes would pull to the nearside, so my example used is not identical but illustrate the correct theory to calculate hydraulic forces. I used calipers instead of wheel cylinders, but theory is the same.

Thanks

David:D



Look No Further!:D

I`m pretty sure that in the English Language, The Words, Greater and Larger, might just equate to the same?:P

nite nite Richard!

oh!:shock:  Me thinks his friends might just call him "DICK"!:P............LOL!:D

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Oct 6th, 2008 04:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Wesley
Trade Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 25th, 2007
Location: Wanted
Posts: 1841
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
knowlep wrote: Yep - read Davids postings and the car pull towards the LARGER piston.:? Agreed?

Sorry, No!:(  NOT Agreed!:shock:

David, Will return soon, and hopefully correct your misunderstandings;)

Regards, Wes.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Mon Oct 6th, 2008 03:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
knowlep
Member
 

Joined: Sun May 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 24
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Yep - read Davids postings and the car pull towards the LARGER piston.:? Agreed?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Oct 5th, 2008 11:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
35th Post
RFR
Member
 

Joined: Tue Mar 4th, 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 323
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
David wrote: Hi Kev

No Brake test data is not a refusal you do a decelerometer test and issue VT32

David:D


Hi David,

              just a quicky:), why do a decelerometer test and what would I say on the vt32 if I did?

rfr    

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Sat Oct 4th, 2008 03:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
36th Post
Wesley
Trade Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 25th, 2007
Location: Wanted
Posts: 1841
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
knowlep wrote: Attend college - don't think so - try reading it again. :P

Dubsys detailed explanation calculates the OSF piston as SMALLER than the NSF so in his example the car pulls to the left or Near Side i.e. towards the larger piston.

Summary = car pulls towards LARGER PISTON.

----------

In the exam question the OSF piston is LARGER than the NSF piston so the car would pull to the RIGHT or Off Side i.e. the larger piston again.

 

Got it ? :cool:


Yeah I have Got It!

Summary = car pulls towards the smaller diameter piston!:dude:

Read  David:D`s postings.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 10:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
37th Post
knowlep
Member
 

Joined: Sun May 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 24
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
Attend college - don't think so - try reading it again. :P

Dubsys detailed explanation calculates the OSF piston as SMALLER than the NSF so in his example the car pulls to the left or Near Side i.e. towards the larger piston.

Summary = car pulls towards LARGER PISTON.

----------

In the exam question the OSF piston is LARGER than the NSF piston so the car would pull to the RIGHT or Off Side i.e. the larger piston again.

 

Got it ? :cool:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 04:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Wesley
Trade Member
 

Joined: Tue Sep 25th, 2007
Location: Wanted
Posts: 1841
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
knowlep wrote: I believe that interestingly enough Dubsys thoroughly written explanation / calculation is correct however he has based it on the OSF piston diameter being SMALLER than the NSF where the actual question in the exam is the opposite way round .........eh??

So the car would pull to the OFF SIDE or RIGHT i.e. towards the larger diameter piston.;)


There seems to be a Contradiction in your statment?:?

Quote,"O/SF piston diameter being SMALLER than the NSF".

And then, "So the car would pull to the OFF SIDE or RIGHT ie; towards the LARGER diameter piston"?:?

Based upon the fact that, "O/SF" and OFF SIDE RIGHT are the same thing?:shock: and one of them is either Larger or Smaller than the other?:?

Me Thinks, YOU:P  need to either Interperet what has been posted or Attend College!:shock:

 

 

Last edited on Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 04:21 am by Wesley

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Oct 3rd, 2008 12:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
39th Post
David
Banned
 

Joined: Mon May 26th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 375
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
knowlep wrote: I believe that interestingly enough Dubsys thoroughly written explanation / calculation is correct however he has based it on the OSF piston diameter being SMALLER than the NSF where the actual question in the exam is the opposite way round .........eh??

So the car would pull to the OFF SIDE or RIGHT i.e. towards the larger diameter piston.;)


Hi

I think avocco originally said;

3. A car is accidentally fitted with O/S/F wheel cylinders that have pistons 2.0mm GREATER in DIAMETER than the N/S/F wheel cylinders pistons. This is likely to cause ?
C = the brakes to pull to the N/S

Please read my previous post explaining hydraulics operation with reference to a braking system, please remember when reading that I made up the example to explain how brakes would pull to the nearside, so my example used is not identical but illustrate the correct theory to calculate hydraulic forces. I used calipers instead of wheel cylinders, but theory is the same.

Thanks

David:D

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 11:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
40th Post
knowlep
Member
 

Joined: Sun May 25th, 2008
Location:  
Posts: 24
Status: 
Offline
Mana: 
I believe that interestingly enough Dubsys thoroughly written explanation / calculation is correct however he has based it on the OSF piston diameter being SMALLER than the NSF where the actual question in the exam is the opposite way round .........eh??

So the car would pull to the OFF SIDE or RIGHT i.e. towards the larger diameter piston.;)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 08:22 pm Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > NTT Test Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems