board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

Autotech Recruit

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, martins, KevG, bimmer Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
NTT Test  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Aug 14th, 2008 04:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
61st Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Is the answer;

"Name a car thats made today that has drums on the front?"

Kev

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Aug 14th, 2008 04:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
62nd Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Well thats cleared that one up then.

Eject    eject   eject

Kev

Posted: Thu Aug 14th, 2008 03:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
63rd Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
David wrote: Hi Dudsy

you ask for my answer, so here it is;

OK you asked what my answer is; well before I do answer I think a little explanation of some key facts would be beneficial first.

Before we get into the hydraulics, let’s recap on some circle geometry, we do agree the brake pistons will be round don’t we?

Somebody has previously said that the “area” is not counted but the “diameter” is, so let’s start at this point. You can’t calculate brake force from a diameter, so you need the area of the cylinder in question.

There is a relationship between the diameter and circumference of a circle, which is;

The diameter increases proportionally to the circumference, so if C = kd, then C/d = k, which is the constant of proportionality.  Now we now that C/d = , which is usually remembered as C = d or C = 2r.

Now when the service brake pedal is depressed, the force applied to the brake fluid creates a pressure which is constant throughout, undiminished.

Let’s now say that the brake piston diameter is 50mm, to find the force applied we now need to find the area, so we can use the formula C = d or  ï€†d/4;

Find the circumference C = d

C = 3.142•50 = 157  now if you divide 157/4 = 39.3 to 3sf. Or you can use the following formula;

A = d/4        3.142•50/4 = 39.3mm2  which gives the same answer which is the area of the cylinder. Now to find the pressure acting in the brake caliper, you need to find the area of the master cylinder, so let’s say its 400mm2

You now apply your foot to the service brake, and let’s say 100N force as a guide, to find the pressure acting in the master cylinder, you divide;

100/400 = 0.25 N/mm2 multiply this by 10 gives 2.5Bar of pressure, this pressure is undiminished throughout the hydraulic system, so to find the force at the brake caliper;

0.25•39.3 = 9.83N or 98.3 Bar. Let’s say that this brake is the nearside front.

Now we can do the same for the offside front, but this time we will change the diameter, let’s say 05mm less.

A = d/4 = 3.142•34.3/4 = 26.94 4sf.

0.25•26.94 = 6.73N or 67.3 Bar. So as can be seen the offside front brake efficiency is less when the diameter and the area are less, therefore the brakes would pull to the nearside when applied.

Nearside front working pressure = 98.3 Bar

Offside front working pressure    = 67.3 Bar

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding

David:D

So....Pass or Fail?????..............;)   lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol ...And for the people who dont understand;););)... JOKING...

Posted: Thu Aug 14th, 2008 03:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
64th Post
David
Banned

Mana: 
Hi Dudsy

you ask for my answer, so here it is;

OK you asked what my answer is; well before I do answer I think a little explanation of some key facts would be beneficial first.

Before we get into the hydraulics, let’s recap on some circle geometry, we do agree the brake pistons will be round don’t we?

Somebody has previously said that the “area” is not counted but the “diameter” is, so let’s start at this point. You can’t calculate brake force from a diameter, so you need the area of the cylinder in question.

There is a relationship between the diameter and circumference of a circle, which is;

The diameter increases proportionally to the circumference, so if C = kd, then C/d = k, which is the constant of proportionality.  Now we now that C/d = , which is usually remembered as C = d or C = 2r.

Now when the service brake pedal is depressed, the force applied to the brake fluid creates a pressure which is constant throughout, undiminished.

Let’s now say that the brake piston diameter is 50mm, to find the force applied we now need to find the area, so we can use the formula C = d or  ï€†d/4;

Find the circumference C = d

C = 3.142•50 = 157  now if you divide 157/4 = 39.3 to 3sf. Or you can use the following formula;

A = d/4        3.142•50/4 = 39.3mm2  which gives the same answer which is the area of the cylinder. Now to find the pressure acting in the brake caliper, you need to find the area of the master cylinder, so let’s say its 400mm2

You now apply your foot to the service brake, and let’s say 100N force as a guide, to find the pressure acting in the master cylinder, you divide;

100/400 = 0.25 N/mm2 multiply this by 10 gives 2.5Bar of pressure, this pressure is undiminished throughout the hydraulic system, so to find the force at the brake caliper;

0.25•39.3 = 9.83N or 98.3 Bar. Let’s say that this brake is the nearside front.

Now we can do the same for the offside front, but this time we will change the diameter, let’s say 05mm less.

A = d/4 = 3.142•34.3/4 = 26.94 4sf.

0.25•26.94 = 6.73N or 67.3 Bar. So as can be seen the offside front brake efficiency is less when the diameter and the area are less, therefore the brakes would pull to the nearside when applied.

Nearside front working pressure = 98.3 Bar

Offside front working pressure    = 67.3 Bar

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding

Posted: Thu Aug 14th, 2008 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
65th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
Hi Kev,

Over the years my previous employer put lots of "mechanics" on the NTTA question paper,in Eight years two of us passed and went on to become Testers..Both of us have done 6+ years now and both hold a clean licence,never even an appeal..;) We both had spanner experience from leaving school,but nothing on paper..

The NTTA way is as good as any...Like i said if Vosa approve it must be good??...

Posted: Wed Aug 13th, 2008 10:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
66th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi Big E

Thats how I did it Too via the NTTA exam.

Best way if you ask me, everyone should sit it.

It would keep those out that can Talk about it but can't do it.

Kev

Posted: Wed Aug 13th, 2008 04:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
67th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
DAVID,DAVID big..E.  CALLIN DAVID....The pressure "I" related to was a "MANAGERIAL" one..   IE ... "Sorry Mr PLONKER,but your Forvolksrenault tingywatsit has failed its MOT due to a fault on the POWERSTEERING SYSTEM"...."OOOHHH S**TE THE BED,WE'RE GOING ON OUR JOLLIES TOMORROW...I NEED IT FIXIN NOW!!!!!!"shouted Mr PLONKER........(shouting very loudly actually)

Now as a  "Manager/Tester" (like me)....Its Friday Afternoon,Ican't source a part..SO THE PRESSURE IS REALLY F8CKIN ON...

Get of your high horse...DAVID...I have had enough  awkward customers on the other side of the counter..talkin to ME like im a piece of s**t..I dont need YOU to tell me I need training when YOU cannot read a POSTING in the manner it was MEANT....;););););););)  DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT A;)MEANS.....?????ffs......

And just to get right up your skirt....I "Got in" via the NTTA exam...Maybe YOU don't like it 0000hhhh But VOSA   DID....:P  

Last edited on Wed Aug 13th, 2008 05:06 am by big..E.

Posted: Wed Aug 13th, 2008 03:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
68th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Dubsy wrote: David wrote: Hi Big E

Whether you like it or not, :Pin the very near distance future the motor trade will be licensed, ;)and if any individual is not up to it, your out:(. Trading Standards are pushing hard for this license system to take effect, :Ptraining is the only option to stay in the game.:D

and with the greatest respect, at this moment in time on this particular thread, everybody sounds like they ALL need training.:D

It is bewildering to me to think that based on this post, none of you would be able to diagnose the true cause of brake imbalance to any accurate degree?

No wonder there are some many unecessary new parts fitted to customers

Everybody/all need training :shock: ????????

Considering in this post we have both answers of two possible answers then some of the replies must be right therefore only some of the people need training, no?

By the way what was your answer? :)

same as mine, never made an actual one.:D

Posted: Wed Aug 13th, 2008 03:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
69th Post
Dubsy

Mana: 
David wrote: Hi Big E

Whether you like it or not, :Pin the very near distance future the motor trade will be licensed, ;)and if any individual is not up to it, your out:(. Trading Standards are pushing hard for this license system to take effect, :Ptraining is the only option to stay in the game.:D

and with the greatest respect, at this moment in time on this particular thread, everybody sounds like they ALL need training.:D

It is bewildering to me to think that based on this post, none of you would be able to diagnose the true cause of brake imbalance to any accurate degree?

Everybody/all need training :shock: ????????

Considering in this post we have both answers of two possible answers then some of the replies must be right therefore only some of the people need training, no?

By the way what was your answer? :)

Posted: Wed Aug 13th, 2008 03:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
70th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 

Whether you like it or not, :Pin the very near distance future the motor trade will be licensed, ;)and if any individual is not up to it, your out:(. Trading Standards are pushing hard for this license system to take effect, :Ptraining is the only option to stay in the game.

David,

Not even Weetabix?:? or Tim?:?

Wes:D

Last edited on Wed Aug 13th, 2008 04:05 am by Wesley

Posted: Wed Aug 13th, 2008 01:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
71st Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 

No wonder there are some many unecessary new parts fitted to customers vehicles,

MOT testers should not diagnose faults.

If you are a tester you should know that.

That why we dont have "Bad earth" for example, as an RFR.

We have instead "The operation of one light affects another" or similar.

Most garages have experts in different areas, so do not chastise someone who does not know the answer to a question, that is NOT what this forum is for. If you want to do that may I suggest you join a Hydraulics Forum ? For all we know the author is the leading light in the field of Canbus diagnostics and not remotely interested in brakes.

Please think before posting, and continue to enjoy the forum.

Kev

Last edited on Wed Aug 13th, 2008 01:22 am by KevG

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 11:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
72nd Post
David
Banned

Mana: 
Hi Big E

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 10:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
73rd Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Rebel is right. You should get a score for each section of the NTT.

kev

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 06:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
74th Post
Rebel
Trade Member

Mana: 
Percentage is given for each section, as wall as overall.

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 05:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
75th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
kev1975 wrote: Rebel wrote: Sorry but I have to agree with Dubsy.

The volume of the cylinder makes no difference, It's the cross sectional diameter of the piston which determines the force.

A larger diameter piston will cause greater pedal travel but more force at the piston.

Hence the brakes should pull to the right.

that was my answer when i did my ntt & scored full marks in the brakes section , so it must be right :D

How do You Know in what section You scored? When only an Overall percentage is Given?

Try the "Funnel"! Experiment. lol.

Wes.

Last edited on Tue Aug 12th, 2008 05:14 am by Wesley

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 04:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
76th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
KevG wrote: The Volume of the Cylinder is not relavant.

Kev

Hi Kev, same as Rebel.;)

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 04:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
77th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Rebel wrote: Sorry but I have to agree with Dubsy.

The volume of the cylinder makes no difference, It's the cross sectional diameter of the piston which determines the force.

A larger diameter piston will cause greater pedal travel but more force at the piston.

Hence the brakes should pull to the right.

Rebel, Lets Have an experiment with a "Funnel"?;)

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 04:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
78th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
Wesley wrote: David wrote: Sounds to me like you all need to go on a training course in physics

David I agree. Guys,

On Another note, Does a pump such as a Power Steering pump Provide Pressure?

Wes.;)
Only on Friday afternoon when the customer "Needs it"..But "you don't want it"..;)

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 03:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
79th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
David wrote: Sounds to me like you all need to go on a training course in physics

David I agree. Guys,

On Another note, Does a pump such as a Power Steering pump Provide Pressure?

Wes.;)

Last edited on Tue Aug 12th, 2008 04:09 am by Wesley

Posted: Tue Aug 12th, 2008 03:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
80th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
The Volume of the Cylinder is not relavant.

Kev

Current time is 07:21 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > NTT Test Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems