Windscreen damage/cracks  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri May 19th, 2017 09:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul S

Mana: 
triangles wrote:
Yes Paul, that one forum seems to have a few thinking the 'old way' and wanting to fail when maybe they should P&A. Hey Ho.
No matter, Annual Assessment out of the way now (100% too!)
and to use castrolrob's language, my ass won't be hanging in the breeze much longer anyway, so DVSA can shove their vast lack of vehicular knowledge and poor management where the sun don't shine. It's been emotional.
Triangles

Just had a reply...
Re: SPECIAL NOTICE 2 - 2014
Morning Paul
As this is a standards issue I have forwarded it to their team for a response.
As I understood it though the extra line was added due to many failures for damage greater than 10mm for example but when in the drivers seat the effect was minimal and the driver had a perfectly good view. So it was difficult to justify a fail.
If you had damage less than 10mm then that size was deemed so small that it would not affect view enough anyway.
But I will await standards response and send on to you.
Regards

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue May 16th, 2017 08:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Paul S

Mana: 
The MOT Inspection Manual is the final criteria as regards disciplinary action, so any ambiguity is unacceptable.
And yes a special notice supersedes the manual; they have not changed the manual to date so a few thinking the 'old way' is wrong?
What exactly is the old way; 10mm zone A & 40 the remainder as don't see any mandatory change just guidance as in sky or bonnet, that's all I read into that special notice.
(Snow) Hey Ho

Posted: Tue Apr 11th, 2017 05:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
triangles

Mana: 
Ha Ha! No cardiac incident yet, I don't let them get to me that much, I'd sooner walk away.
Yes, retirement means this year's assessment will be my first and last. Heh Heh.
Triangles.

Last edited on Tue Apr 11th, 2017 05:04 pm by triangles

Posted: Tue Apr 11th, 2017 12:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
triangles wrote:

and to use castrolrob's language, my ass won't be hanging in the breeze much longer anyway, so DVSA can shove their vast lack of vehicular knowledge and poor management where the sun don't shine. It's been emotional.
Triangles
what?is retirement beckoning or has all the current s**te led you to plan a big juicy cardiac incident?

Posted: Sun Apr 9th, 2017 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
triangles

Mana: 
Yes Paul, that one forum seems to have a few thinking the 'old way' and wanting to fail when maybe they should P&A. Hey Ho.
No matter, Annual Assessment out of the way now (100% too!)
Triangles

Posted: Thu Jan 12th, 2017 07:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Sent the below Email to VTS Council Trade Liaison Officer Fri 06/01

Regarding a Special Notice
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/288417/mot-special-notice-2-2014.pdf
On two online forums' there appears to be confusion;
http://forums.motester.co.uk/forum4/3881.html
&
http://mtaeta.info/thread/3119/windscreen-damage-pass-fail
What is DVSA's or your position on this SN & if you reply to these enquiry's can I quote you?

Posted: Sun Jan 8th, 2017 05:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
triangles

Mana: 
The inspection manual will be amended at the next available opportunity
The s/n finishes with the above statement. I guess DVSA have a poor understanding of the concept of time.
Meanwhile, we are all vulnerable IMHO.
Triangles

Last edited on Sun Jan 8th, 2017 05:32 pm by triangles

Posted: Fri Jan 6th, 2017 11:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
how would you stand on an appeal with a +10mm damage in front of the driver?the guy quotes the manual and you would be obviously wrong,doubt the ve would back you yet we are told p+a,last one I failed was cracked east to west about 2 foot long bang in the drivers view but according to the sn I could have passed+advised,dont see anyone buying the motor after being impressed with my judgement under those circumstances.dvsa need to remove the 10mm/40mm criteria or our asses are swinging in the breeze.

Posted: Fri Jan 6th, 2017 06:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Also have a look at ‘View to the Front’.

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-trade-information-and-services/mot-trade/mot-trade-news/special-notice-s-n-2-14

Agreed this is very wrong and you (and others on that course at that time) are put in a bad position which is indefensible should DVSA question a decision regarding a windscreen damaged enough to fail according to the system, but NOT according to your course instructor.

The special notice has muddied the waters regarding ‘View to the Front’ & DVSA should clarify they obviously are aware of the confusion its created.

Posted: Mon Jan 2nd, 2017 04:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
triangles

Mana: 
Hi Bimmer and thanks for the link, seems to have missed me somehow but at least it appears that I have been doing things correctly, unlike many others. I know a few people who have had MOT fails elsewhere due to screen damage which they should not have. Thanks again.
Triangles

Posted: Mon Jan 2nd, 2017 04:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Have a look at Special notice 2-14 which gives instruction on testing windscreen damage. Item 3 View to the front.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/288417/mot-special-notice-2-2014.pdf

Posted: Sun Jan 1st, 2017 06:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
triangles

Mana: 
Hi all, new here and many questions despite testing for 12 odd years now.
First off, Happy New Year to all, hope you had a good one.
Here we go then. Last MOT course I was sent on, instructor told us that any windscreen damage was NOT to be failed unless it SERIOUSLY affected the driver's view of the road. Just to to be sure, I questioned a vehicle presented with a crack across the screen either vertically, horizontally or diagonally and directly in line with the driver's line of sight but not seriously affecting the view of the road.
He said to pass and advise.
Yet the fails are still on the system, which we are always told to refer to if in doubt.
Seems to me this is very wrong and I (and others on the course at that time) are put in a bad position which is indefensible should DVSA question a decision regarding a windscreen damaged enough to fail according to the system, but NOT according to our course instructor.
Anyone care to comment/clarify?
Thanks, Triangles

Current time is 07:23 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > Windscreen damage/cracks Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems