Practical assesment advice?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Nov 18th, 2009 09:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
i agree,anytime they reconcile(!)sns they tell you to get rid of the old ones,have got some going back 25 yrs that never got superseded/replaced.have done this because get fed up with with vosa saying "where did you get that from then?"have never seen an sn saying disregard etc.dont know of another system/department that says we can do you if WE change our mind about the objectives/targets etc.cover your own a**e chaps....

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Nov 12th, 2009 04:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Macboydog wrote: Rotating rear wheels with engine running.

Can you tell me where it says you have to do this please?

If not. can you ask the VE where it says you must do this.

It always helps if the VE points this fact out in the good book or is he making it up.

Note. all special notices prior to 4/08 were incorporated into the books. So they "should be scrapped".

Hi Macboydog,

With respect,

The "Scrapping" of "All Previous" SN`s prior to the date, You quote, does not Assist Any New NT`s about Any Issues relating to "Older Vehicles"?:?:shock:

Eg;- 1998 Nissan Primera Front Suspension Components?:?:?:shock:

The VSI, Currently, Does Not Cover This?:?:shock:

So, Should They Be, "Scrapped" Or "Kept"?:?

I Have My "Own" Personal Copy, so don`t You worry too much. Lol...............:D

Laters,

Wes.;)  

Posted: Thu Nov 12th, 2009 03:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Macboydog

Mana: 
Rotating rear wheels with engine running.

Can you tell me where it says you have to do this please?

If not. can you ask the VE where it says you must do this.

It always helps if the VE points this fact out in the good book or is he making it up.

Note. all special notices prior to 4/08 were incorporated into the books. So they should be scrapped.

Posted: Thu Nov 12th, 2009 01:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
also keep in mind that all checks on the steering when power steering is fitted you is supposed to have the engine running,this includes shaking em when its jacked up.as you know as soon as the driven wheels are clear of the ground with the engine running then thats when the problems start as the trans drag spins em,asked on a refresher a decade or so back when this started to become an issue,didnt receive any answer except do as you are told,reply(from me) was that if test routine damaged the car then i wouldnt do it,have turned engine off before jacking ever since.keep in mind tho that doing this way also increases the chance of the occaisional steering reservoir pissing out everywhere...

Posted: Mon Nov 9th, 2009 11:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
steve t

Mana: 
i did my ntt course back in feb this year and the instructor said at the time after doing all the underbody checks, regardless as to whether it has abs or not best practice is to have the engine turned off as this takes away any need to check whether or not the car will have a problem if and when you spin the wheels with either the engine running or the ignition on also i have found over the years that some cars when jacked up the wheels start to rotate quite quickly so from a safety aspect think about you have to stop that wheel to check it and if its been raining well we all know that being covered in crap off the tyre is not nice

Posted: Fri Sep 11th, 2009 04:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Dynamic Balance

Mana: 
I agree with you Wes on the SN's, but the problem is even though I do read them I can't always remember everything that is in them, this probably because I do so much other research, which hopefully this time next year I should be moving into a proper job when I get my Graduate Forensic degree:)

DB:)

Posted: Fri Sep 11th, 2009 03:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Dynamic Balance wrote: Can I ask, why is the ignition switched on when the wheels are free to rotate?

am I missing something in the test routine or is somebody making a mistake?

DB;)

No mistake DB, just using a scenario as an example.;)

If you RBT A Mercedes A170 with the engine running, It will do the same thing,;) 

Reading of all previous SN`s used to be part of the Training as well.;)

Wes.;)

Posted: Fri Sep 11th, 2009 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Dynamic Balance

Mana: 
Can I ask, why is the ignition switched on when the wheels are free to rotate?

am I missing something in the test routine or is somebody making a mistake?

DB;)

Posted: Thu Sep 10th, 2009 04:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
big..E. wrote: So presume with ABS?....No need for Engine to be run?...Due to upsetting ABS system?..

On some Vehicles,

As "E" Has said, rotating or spinning the wheels whilst the engine is running, Will upset the "ABS System", as a scenario, Many Vehicles come to mind and I have had to plug them in an "clear codes" after Inspection.:(

The Latest VSI info, reduces the chances of this happening, but there are still an odd few that will Catch You Out.;)

Laters,

Wes.

Last edited on Sat Sep 12th, 2009 04:35 am by Wesley

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 09:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
KW1 wrote: yeah think that was basically what he was getting at, but cant help feeling hard done by a bit, especially when he commented to my manager about how well the rest of the test was carried out:?

The VE should have recorded the missed items on an assessment sheet, which should be signed by the VE, tester, and an AE representative, making the tester aware in writing of the items missed or wrongly assessed, and he should also have made written notes regards what advice was given to the tester.

This form should also record the points value for each item missed.

There are three sets of points thresholds - one for advice about minor items missed, in this case the VE should advise and the sign off the tester as qualified.

The next level is for bigger items, in this case the VE can require the tester to have further practice, followed by a re-assessment.

The final level is applied in cases where the tester has clearly missed a number of aspects of the test, or failed to use the equipment in a satisfactory manner. This would normally require the tester to re-sit the NTT course.

Did the VE leave any paperwork for reference, or get the tester or AE to sign anything at the end of his visit.

If, as you mentioned, there were only the two items, tapping of lamps & rotating the rear wheels with engine running, then his decision, in my opinion, seems a little harsh.

It might pay to have a chat with the VE about the scoring for the items not properly assessed. A little common sense should perhaps be applied, and allowances made for some 'exam' nerves.

;)

Last edited on Wed Sep 9th, 2009 10:01 pm by Stealth

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 01:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
nicknak
Trade Member

Mana: 
If you treated everyone like that there would be no new testers.

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 04:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
KW1

Mana: 
yeah think that was basically what he was getting at, but cant help feeling hard done by a bit, especially when he commented to my manager about how well the rest of the test was carried out:?

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 04:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
So presume with ABS?....No need for Engine to be run?...Due to upsetting ABS system?..

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 04:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
KW1

Mana: 
It was a 2005 mazda 3 1.6

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 04:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
Personally I think the "Assessor" was being a bit Picky......Usually a kind "word in the Ear" is Suffice.....Well you know what to expect next time round....;)..No probs!!!...Btw what car were you Testing?...

Last edited on Wed Sep 9th, 2009 04:10 am by big..E.

Posted: Wed Sep 9th, 2009 03:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
KW1

Mana: 
Hi people, Passed all my theory exams to become a tester (3day course), and had my practical assesment today, but got picked up on couple of items, and told that the assesor wanted to return next week to asses me again:(, just wandered if any1 else has come across this before,??
he pulled me up on
1. tapping all lights but forgetting to 'tap' rear fog
2. Rotating rear wheels with engine running.

Just wandered what the more experienced members think, because have heard that the assesor i had was overly strict , Your thoughts please ...

Current time is 09:06 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > DVSA/VOSA Performance Monitoring - bad experience? Let us know | MOT Forum > Practical assesment advice? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems