VOSA Trainer - Questions and Answers  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Feb 12th, 2011 03:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
on my recent refresher we were told we could lift the back seat if it is the type that lifts easily but we didn't have to if not .

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Feb 12th, 2011 03:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
martin243
Trade Member

Mana: 
Note with interest about the health and safety answer from the trainer, last course I was on (last Dec) we were advised to lift the rear seats to check s/b mounts, ok fine start to do it, so far cut fingers on broken glass twice, and been accused of breaking a seat ketch (total cost of 95.00 to replace). Think VOSA sometimes doesn't inform there trainers of the real world.

Posted: Sat Feb 12th, 2011 02:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Aylesbury Jock

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote: It does seem a bit harsh to abandon a test due to a locked fuel cap, it always dissapoints me that there is no rfr "unable to assess ful cap seal" What do you think?
I have always thought so. I know the MOT must not be swayed by business concerns, but consider the fact that not all testers are as consciencious as we are(I will ignore the sharp intake of breath) When you refuse to test because of no access to the fuel cap how often do you see the vehicle come back? I know I have lost some because they will go to someone who will test it. If we could test the vehicle and fail it for not having access, then retest when access is possible, we don't lose trade and road safety is satisfied since no pass certificate is issued to an unroadworthy vehicle. Would this be so bad.

Posted: Sat Feb 12th, 2011 01:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
ADS UK LTD

Mana: 
While there is no mandatory rule that testers must carry out the pre - checks, as far as I am to understand, I have made it a part of my routine to ensure as far as reasonably possible that the test can be carried out, therefore carrying out all pre - checks first.

I see the problem with the fuel cap when it is of the locking type, a few times customers have not brought the key because they said that they thought it was not required. This is obviously the MOT Schemes fault and not the presenters of the vehicles. If the responsible person booking in the MOT can't be bothered to ask the customer a few simple questions, to ensure a smooth consistant throughput of vehicles, then problems will arise.

Sometimes you can't always rely on a regulation to do the job on your behalf, sometimes effort must be put in to make the job easier:)

See my new thread "Turbo" Problem

Posted: Sat Feb 12th, 2011 01:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote: It does seem a bit harsh to abandon a test due to a locked fuel cap, it always dissapoints me that there is no rfr "unable to assess ful cap seal" What do you think?

Rather than a refusal to test,  hmm might be a good idea.

What does everyone think?

Kev

Posted: Sat Feb 12th, 2011 01:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi Stealth,

Thanks for taking time to do this for us!

If I understand correctly, The trainer said it MAY be OK to test a car with a non opening boot by climbing in the back if the seats can be folded flat?

Or have I misread?

"Q. What if the seats can be folded down flat to allow access."

"A. If the tester can fully examine all relevant items, and he is fully satisfied he has    not missed any area's then continue to test."

I would not like to put my name on a certificate unless I could see all areas incuding the door shut areas that are only visible when boot/hatch are opened.

Therefore I would suggest that 99 times out of 100  I would not be satisfied that I could properly test all areas.

As an aside, sometimes when I need to make a decision about a particular component, I think what I would say to a hyperthetical Inquest Court.  Helps me to remember what the MOT is actually for.

Kev

Last edited on Sat Feb 12th, 2011 01:12 am by KevG

Posted: Sat Feb 12th, 2011 01:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 

I think access to the fuel cap should have been assessed as part of your pre -test walk round check - no key to access the locked flap - refuse to test !!!

I think this one has been flogged to death now kit - it's all there in the Manual ;)

Last edited on Sat Feb 12th, 2011 01:07 am by Stealth

Posted: Sat Feb 12th, 2011 01:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
It does seem a bit harsh to abandon a test due to a locked fuel cap, it always dissapoints me that there is no rfr "unable to assess fuel cap seal" What do you think?

Last edited on Sat Feb 12th, 2011 02:34 am by kit1958

Posted: Fri Feb 11th, 2011 10:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
I spent a few minutes with the local trainer today and posed some questions relating to the recent thread regards access to the boot during testing.

Scenario - I am a tester attending a refresher course .......

Q. What do I do if the boot won't open

A. Refuse to test.

Q. What if I can access the boot via the rear seats.

A. Health & Safety - if this involves climbing over the rear seats or into the boot area then don't do it - VOSA has a responsibility to ensure there are no Health & Safety implications for testers, and also to ensure that the potential for damage to a customers vehicle or their property is minimised.

Q. What if the seats can be folded down flat to allow access.

A. If the tester can fully examine all relevant items, and he is fully satisfied he has not missed any area's then continue to test.

Q. What if there are structural area's that cannot be fully assessed during the above scenario, without opening the boot.

A. Refuse to test - or if this becomes apparent during the test, then abandon the test.

;)

Current time is 07:38 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Training and Seminars - Reviews, Dates, Questions | MOT Forum > VOSA Trainer - Questions and Answers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems