PT cruiser  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Mar 3rd, 2011 04:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
ASTONMANN
Trade Member

Mana: 
Had an 'S' reg Nissan pickup in yesterday,body was pretty rotten so we thought 'big list coming up'. Ten minutes into the test my NT called me in to look at it,I have never seen a chassis so badly corroded,about to collapse on the n/s so the test was abandoned. There's no way that vehicle should of been driven away,but we have no powers to stop them.
 I was going to get some photo's but didn't get chance.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Feb 28th, 2011 12:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
kev1975 wrot I personally think it wouldn't be a bad idea if we were able to issue some kind of prohibition on dangerous vehicles .we used to be able to.they were called red tickets and basically you handed em to the owner,told him it werent getting a mot as long as he had a hole in his a**e,and to go and scrap his sad sack of s**t and stop wasting your time.think they went out in mid eighties but a danish workmate/tester reckoned they still used summat pretty similar back in his homeland.we also used to get rounded up for the local spotchecks in london.they would"borrow"a tester or two from the local test stations for,say,a 5 mile radius and you would spend half a day checking random trucks/vans etc with the ministry and met.we both learned off each other,no them and us,everyones a winner.wouldnt work these days of course but its given me no end of laughs with the local plod,theres no expiry on the warrants and i still had mine up to a couple of years ago.policemen get the hump when the cheery cry of"o.k. driver operate the lights/steering etc" goes up!

Posted: Sat Feb 26th, 2011 09:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
we as testers are deemed to be able to inspect a vehicle to ensure it is roadworthy , I personally think it wouldn't be a bad idea if we were able to issue some kind of prohibition on dangerous vehicles .
probably the only thing stopping this from happening is that it would be open to abuse by some testers who are after making the workshop busy :shock::shock:

Posted: Sat Feb 26th, 2011 07:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Bright Ideas?

Mana: 
Had a Renault Laguna in for test today, don't know if anyone else does this as part of the test routine, but with the engine at idle and standing outside the drivers door, I gently rock the steering back and forth to see how much "if any" free play is in the steering mechanism, by observing when the road wheel starts to move in relation to how much the steering wheel turns before the road wheel moves:D

Today over 050mm excess movement in  the steering mechanism before the road wheel(s) started to move, but as a driver you would not feel the play at the steering wheel, frighening.

The track rod ends were absolutely knackered, talk about hanging off that is an understatement, I tried to set my camera into movie mode but was unable, however when the car returns for repairs/retest, yes she drove the car away after advising it was seriously dangerous to drive, I will video the joint(s) and probably send a email and copy to the local MP for consideration.

Be interesting to see what comes back?

If these track rods were either OK or a Pass and Advise on the last test 12 months ago, then VOSA should consider thinking more seriously about these documents and put something in place which enforces action on the vehicle presenter to make then either take the vehicle off the road, or have it repaired without delay if continued use is to be considered.

Posted: Sat Feb 26th, 2011 04:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
4-2-2 anyone:shock: and thats after one year:shock::shock:

Posted: Sat Feb 26th, 2011 01:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
Bright Ideas? wrote:
Anti-roll bar looks Ok lol:D, is it not a pass and advise:D:D

Did you test it or abandon it:D

Edited to say;

Sorry did you test it as much as could be or did you abandon it when you first looked under it?

was it safe to jack it up, brake test it etc?

did the full test & failed it as dangerous , it was obviously not gonna fall apart on the rollers , dread to think what could have happened if it hit a nasty pothole though .
jacked it up on the front jacking points as the rest of the car was clean & solid underneath , just the subframe was rotten .

Posted: Fri Feb 25th, 2011 11:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Bright Ideas?

Mana: 
Anti-roll bar looks Ok lol:D, is it not a pass and advise:D:D

Did you test it or abandon it:D

Edited to say;

Sorry did you test it as much as could be or did you abandon it when you first looked under it?

was it safe to jack it up, brake test it etc?

Last edited on Fri Feb 25th, 2011 11:55 pm by

Posted: Fri Feb 25th, 2011 03:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
rocky69

Mana: 
How old was it?

Posted: Fri Feb 25th, 2011 03:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
removalizer
Trade Member

Mana: 
Look like its been in the sea for a while !

Posted: Fri Feb 25th, 2011 02:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
kev1975
Trade Member

Mana: 
look at the state of the front subframe , seriously weakened is a slight understatement .

Current time is 09:03 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Road Safety Shockers - Dangerous Defects! | MOT Forum > PT cruiser Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems