board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, martins, KevG, bimmer Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
VOSA news on new testable items.  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Fri Jan 3rd, 2014 09:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
joshuaaroberts

Mana: 
:)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2013 12:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
billyloadsamud

Mana: 
I think the "if you are certain" in the RFR will make for a lot of Pass and ADvise rather than fails,, I know that's what I will do unless I am certain, Independants don't have the same knowledge as main dealers who work on same vehicles all the time

Posted: Wed Mar 27th, 2013 03:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
DB9

Mana: 
DB9 wrote: spotty wrote: DB9 wrote: removalizer wrote: Ok read the special notice, so what about traction control lights are they a fail ?
Traction control light is covered in section 3.4 method of inspection 1.

Are they?  The section mentions Electronic Stability Control Systems which are abbreviated to ESP and ESC.  These systems monitor the yaw, pitch, speed and steering wheel position/input on the car and if it detects that the car is skidding it will apply a single brake to bring it under control.

A traction control system, VW use the name ASR (anti slip regulation) for their system monitors the driven wheels and will brake one and/or shut the throttle down if it detects that one wheel is spinning faster than the other in order to provide traction.

In my mind they are completely different systems that do two different things, though they may use some common components.

Mistaking an ASR light for an ESP/ESC light and failing it could leave yourself wide open to an appeal going against you and VOSA are putting the responsibility on the tester, to quote the manual:

should only be failed when the tester is certain that an illuminated lamp indicates an ESC malfunction.  This may require reference to the owner’s handbook if one is available.

Your right Spotty, there are some subtle differences as you say and yes they share common components, and while they do different functions, those functions can be intertwined also having now read up on it in the Bosch manual, thus causing a little confusion.

Similar today I had a CLK 200 and the instrument display digital display advised that the tyre pressure monitoring system had a fault on it, but the manual says in the information column that we must only fail if the lamps indicates a fault, which is good because the CLK did not have a lamp fitted, thus only a digital read out.

Yes I think a nightmare is ahead of us with all these different systems!

Having read in a little more detail in the Bosch Safety, Comfort and Convenience Systems I have read that the ESP and TSP systems are combined in the same controller, so I can't say that this applies to all vehicles and setups, but I now think that based on what I said originally, i.e. section 3.4.1 covers it in the Testers Manual, and the information column states that ESP or ESC could be called some other acronym, then I think NTs could as previous said find they will struggle to differentiate between the two systems and VOSA might just have to accept that one warning lamp will cover both systems?

Posted: Tue Mar 26th, 2013 12:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
I thought that the TPMS was only testeble on cars first used after 01/01/2012?

The inspection of the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) warning lamp only applies to passenger vehicles with: · four or more wheels, and · not more than 8 passenger seats excluding the driver’s seat, and · first used on or after 1 January 2012

Last edited on Tue Mar 26th, 2013 06:12 pm by kit1958

Posted: Tue Mar 26th, 2013 04:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
DB9

Mana: 
spotty wrote: DB9 wrote: removalizer wrote: Ok read the special notice, so what about traction control lights are they a fail ?

Are they?  The section mentions Electronic Stability Control Systems which are abbreviated to ESP and ESC.  These systems monitor the yaw, pitch, speed and steering wheel position/input on the car and if it detects that the car is skidding it will apply a single brake to bring it under control.

A traction control system, VW use the name ASR (anti slip regulation) for their system monitors the driven wheels and will brake one and/or shut the throttle down if it detects that one wheel is spinning faster than the other in order to provide traction.

In my mind they are completely different systems that do two different things, though they may use some common components.

Mistaking an ASR light for an ESP/ESC light and failing it could leave yourself wide open to an appeal going against you and VOSA are putting the responsibility on the tester, to quote the manual:

should only be failed when the tester is certain that an illuminated lamp indicates an ESC malfunction.  This may require reference to the owner’s handbook if one is available.

Your right Spotty, there are some subtle differences as you say and yes they share common components, and while they do different functions, those functions can be intertwined also having now read up on it in the Bosch manual, thus causing a little confusion.

Similar today I had a CLK 200 and the instrument display digital display advised that the tyre pressure monitoring system had a fault on it, but the manual says in the information column that we must only fail if the lamps indicates a fault, which is good because the CLK did not have a lamp fitted, thus only a digital read out.

Yes I think a nightmare is ahead of us with all these different systems!

Posted: Tue Mar 26th, 2013 01:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
spotty

Mana: 
DB9 wrote: removalizer wrote: Ok read the special notice, so what about traction control lights are they a fail ?

Posted: Sun Mar 24th, 2013 12:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
DB9

Mana: 
removalizer wrote: Ok read the special notice, so what about traction control lights are they a fail ?

Posted: Wed Mar 20th, 2013 03:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
removalizer
Trade Member

Mana: 
Ok read the special notice, so what about traction control lights are they a fail ?

Posted: Tue Mar 12th, 2013 04:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
scubaman

Mana: 
On VTS device now f5

Posted: Mon Mar 11th, 2013 02:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Tony Gingell wrote:
VOSA was supposed to be sending out a special notice about the new testable items on Wednesday. For some reason, this has now been put back untill Monday 11th.

Lost in the post perhaps?

Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2013 05:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Tony Gingell
Trade Member

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote: We shall see.

Are you suggesting that VOSA would not introduce the paperwork on time as prommised? They've never mucked about with a date before......:)

Can't wait for all the problems once the trailer socket test goes live. I suspect another "tempory suspension" of that part of the test is on the cards.

Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2013 04:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
We shall see.

Posted: Fri Mar 8th, 2013 03:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Tony Gingell
Trade Member

Mana: 
VOSA was supposed to be sending out a special notice about the new testable items on Wednesday. For some reason, this has now been put back untill Monday 11th.

Posted: Tue Mar 5th, 2013 05:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Best get the complaints dept. on stand by then!!:D

Posted: Tue Mar 5th, 2013 03:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
scubaman

Mana: 
Changes to the MOT test

The legislation to enable the changes required under Directive 2010/48/EU to the MOT test for Classes 4, 5 & 7, will come into force on 20 March 2013. Plans are now underway to enable the items (added to the inspection manuals in January 2012), which are currently being advised, to become fail items from 20 March 2013 where defects are found. A range of informal and formal communications is in place to ensure that everyone who needs to be aware of the changes will be informed.

Other changes affecting the MOT test, include minimum service brake efficiency requirement for (passenger vehicles with no more than 8 passenger seats increasing to 58% first used on or after 1st September 2010 and amendments to the imbalance requirements (30% across each individual axle) are to take place in July. The final change adding the country of registration to the test certificate will be in place for 2014.

Posted: Sun Dec 2nd, 2012 08:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Aylesbury Jock

Mana: 
In the 'Testing Times' they reckon we have clocked up £12 million so far. So much for austerity cut backs.

Posted: Wed Nov 28th, 2012 08:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Toptional wrote:
This is the second delay, and I can't say i'm surprised.

Wonder how much we're paying the EU in fines for not getting these directives in place :X

I read the outher day £10000 per day :shock:

Last edited on Wed Nov 28th, 2012 08:40 pm by kit1958

Posted: Thu May 3rd, 2012 01:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Aylesbury Jock

Mana: 
But if the first lot don't come into force until summer/winter, we shouldn't have to concern ourselves too much to the new lot for a couple of years yet:)

Posted: Wed May 2nd, 2012 07:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
markt

Mana: 
nice new special notice...more changes.:shock:

Posted: Fri Apr 27th, 2012 02:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Don't take it as gospel though we all know that anything that can go wrong prob will :D

Current time is 04:17 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > VOSA news on new testable items. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems