It's comin at you too I reckon with all this EU harmonisation s***t

Last edited on Sat May 19th, 2007 01:05 am by

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2007 06:50 pm
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
gart

Mana: 
Yes I have explained that several times. The regulation 40 stands. Looks like I'm stuck lookin for a poxy sticker for the moment.

Here's an extract from Parlimentary Records

MOT Vehicle Tests
Mark Durkan: To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what criteria are used in Northern Ireland for MOT vehicle tests; and whether there is a requirement for speedometers to include kilometres per hour as well as miles per hour. [24849]

Angela E. Smith: The criteria used in Northern Ireland for MOT vehicle tests are contained in the Motor Vehicle Testing Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2003 which specify the class of vehicles subject to testing and the related test items. Schedule 2 of these regulations cites the speedometer as a testable item for Class IV vehicles (motor cars). Regulation 40 of the Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999 provides for a motor vehicle to be fitted with a speedometer which indicates speed both in miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, if required, separately.

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2007 06:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Rebel
Trade Member

Mana: 
I can't comment on your testing system in Ireland, but in the UK mainland I don't think that the MOT test ever requires that the vehicle is modified from standard as manufactured.

Perhaps put that to them?

DC

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2007 02:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
gart

Mana: 
Kev.

After a 30min conversation with the DVTA in Belfast I am no further on really. They say they are testing vehicles to the Motor Vehicle Construction and Use Regulations NI 1999 Reg 40. These regs are different from the mainland apparently. I am trying to get a copy of this at the moment to satisfy myself the interpretation is correct. They say that there must be a dual marked speedo on the vehicle and it is not up to them to recommend any particular technique to achieve this. I pointed out that it is impossible for me to buy a replacement part from the manufacturer but we kept coming back to the same thing. There must be KPH marked on the fascia of the speedo below the needle. My speedo is not screwed together but rather there is a formed metal ring which holds the speedo together and I would have to prise this open to obtain access to this fascia. Looks like I'm stuck with the modification. What would you suggest?. Harley don't make a part to suit as far as I am aware.

Gordon

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2007 02:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
gart

Mana: 
Thanks for that prompt response. Does it make any difference because it's N Ireland. I did ring a dealer who told me the same thing as you have just said. I don't have a fail cert but just an advisory sheet mentioning "other defects" " Speedometer-not dual marked (MPH KPH)

Posted: Fri May 18th, 2007 01:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi Gart.

Dual marked speedo is not required, in fact for the MOT test the speedo isnt even part of the test, this goes for cars too. Ask the tester to show you in the testing manual the "Reason for Rejection" (Its not in! ).

I would be interested to know what the red fail sheet you were given says on it.

The bike may need a dual marked speedo for construction and use regs, but this is not a construction and use test, its an MOT,

If no joy ask for an appeal form, this should prompt some action.

Kev

Posted: Thu May 17th, 2007 10:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
gart

Mana: 
Can anyone clarify the following for me.

I live in N Ireland, Craigavon.

I own a 1990 Heritage Soft ail Harley and it has just been refused an MOT certificate by my local testing station because the tester maintains that any vehicle made after 1984 must have a dual marked speedometer attached. I have been in contact with Harley and a replacement speedo for this model physically does not exist. Pre 1994 Harleys either had MPH or KPH speedos fitted. Not dual ones.  I would like to know the following:-

How do I get around this, as the bike has passed every MOT from 1996 up to last year?

Where can I examine the legislation or rule that states this? Would I find it in the test centre, the DVTA website?

Any help would be appreciated.

Current time is 09:29 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Bike Testing -  Ask bike Testers about bike Testing | MOT Forum > Harley Speedo Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems