Mana: 
PERFECT

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Oct 23rd, 2012 07:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
NITROS44

Mana: 
Hoge wrote: Don't get me wrong, as an ex racer every bike I've ever owned has at least a can on it, many with wording polished off :shock: but was interested to see how others class 'too noisy'. I seem to recall on my original course the instructor preferred to skip over the question about noise.
I seem to recall on my original course the instructor preferred to skip over the question about noise.

Because at the end of the day its in your opinion using your skill and knowledge

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2012 05:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Tony Gingell
Trade Member

Mana: 
When I atteneded my training course to become a Class 1-2 tester, I reaised the point with the instructer about noisy exhausts.(Harleys in particular.)
My point was, how was I supposed to know exactly how loud a custom Harley was supposed to be? After all, the chances are they all came out the door like that.
His advice, but with a large grin was "Fail it".

So far, EVERY Harley that I have tested has had what I consider to be an unexceptably noisy exhaust fitted. But thats just it. They ALL have so therfore all the Harleys are "similar machines" and I pass and advise.

BUT, on the other hand.....

If say a Suzuki Burgman came in with a similar level of exhaust noise, I'd fail it.

The only other thing you can do is to have a good look to see if the baffles have been removed (They can on some systems for "race" days...) and if the exhaust is stamped "Not For Road Use". (Like the one on my Triumph 955i and thats nowhere near as loud as a Harley!)

Posted: Thu Oct 11th, 2012 04:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Hoge

Mana: 
Don't get me wrong, as an ex racer every bike I've ever owned has at least a can on it, many with wording polished off :shock: but was interested to see how others class 'too noisy'. I seem to recall on my original course the instructor preferred to skip over the question about noise.

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2012 11:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Every year my tester says the same thing about my GSXR with a Micron can - 'that sounds nice' :D

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2012 05:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Hoge

Mana: 
Er, thanks for the reply but we're talking class 1 and 2 here, not those smelly four wheel things that need emission testing. No such testing for bikes yet.

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2012 04:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
NITROS44

Mana: 
Hi Hoge,
Going by the manual, there is no criteria for running the engine to assess noise. :)

However, you do have to rev the engine for emissions testing, and all vehicles are subject to Section 7.3A, which requires the NT to raise the engine speed to assess smoke emissions.

As engine speed must be raised to a specific limit, which means a fair and consistent level of test to all vehicles, a NT should be able to make a reasonable assessment of noise emitted at the same time as an emissions test.

If in my opinion during the emission's test the noise level is "unreasonable"then i would have to fail it,but its your opinion and if you think then, that the noise is "unreasonable"then fail it Hoge ;)

I would always use the emissions part of the test to asses noise,but if the vehicle is not subject to an emissions test then rev the engine to 2500 or half engine speed if this is lower as stated in the manual. ;)

If in doubt, then make an advisory. ;)

Last edited on Wed Oct 10th, 2012 04:52 am by

Posted: Wed Oct 10th, 2012 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Hoge

Mana: 
As a tester I'm fully aware of the RFR for noisy exhausts but am interested to know how other testers base their findings regarding pass / fail / advise for exhaust systems where 'Noise emitted is clearly in excess of that which would be produced by a similar machine fitted with a standard silencer in average condition'

Thanks.

Current time is 04:18 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Bike Testing -  Ask bike Testers about bike Testing | MOT Forum > Exhaust noise. Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems