Attention all Testing Stations  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Nov 26th, 2012 01:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Favell
Trade Member

Mana: 
I have had a series of calls from someone with a strong Asian accent wanting to discuss my BT account and internet services. I always refuse to enter into a any discussion and then ring the phone number at the top of the bill.

Again there was no problem with my BT account.

Be wary

Fav.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sun Nov 25th, 2012 12:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
not gonna happen at our gaff,with sufficient lead time and patience i have managed to extract a coffee from our boss.credit card details?not a prayer!

Posted: Fri Nov 23rd, 2012 10:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
Exactly Stealth. BT noted that MOT Testing Stations might be targeted because of their reliance on their phone lines, and might therefore be easily panicked into giving their card details.

Posted: Fri Nov 23rd, 2012 10:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
martins wrote:
It is unlikely that if the scam had worked, only £12.50 would have been taken from the card.

Free reign for the scammers once they have the card details Martins - some people might be conned because the scammers are only quoting a small amount - if the card details are given over the phone then the card holder has no way of knowing how much the scammers are actually stealing until the bill arrives or the account is cleaned out.

:shock::shock::shock:

Last edited on Fri Nov 23rd, 2012 10:07 pm by Stealth

Posted: Wed Nov 21st, 2012 08:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
martins
Administrator

Mana: 
Don't give your company credit card details to unknown callers.

A Mr Stanley, of JL Perrie and Son in Rotherham, contacted us recently with the following tale.

Mr Stanley received a phone call purporting to be from BT Debt Recovery, informing him that his company's telephone account was in arrears by £12.50.

The lady, who had an 'African' sounding accent, was very convincing, and had all of the relevant details about JL Perrie's business (which can of course be easily found on the internet).

She insisted that unless the outstanding amount was paid then and there, by credit card, the business's phone line would be cut off immediately.

Mr Stanley was very sceptical, but admits that he actually had his card out ready to give the details at one point, so convincing was the caller. Luckily he decided to make a check with his own call to BT first. They told him that his account was NOT in arrears, and that in any case they would never give such an ultimatum to their customers.

Mr Stanley has asked us to let the MOT community know about this so that they can be prepared. It is unlikely that if the scam had worked that only £12.50 would have been taken from the card.

Current time is 11:22 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > General Off-Topic 'Discussions' - when it gets down to the fine detail | MOT Forum > Attention all Testing Stations Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems