New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Demo test/Roller brake test question  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2013 06:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jamil

Mana: 
Your right i does look the wrong way round as you would need to know when thy lock up/max is to know what 75% is. I just wrote it the same order as the manual.

I will be testing on a non ATL. I think im just going to use the old method and just inform the examiner i will be doing this as the trainer at vosa suggested.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2013 03:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
jamil wrote:

The trainer at vosa agreed to this and said on the demo just say to the examiner you are using the old method and he should be ok. Now im still confused.

If you are doing your demo at a non ATL site then I dont see yhat your examiner will have a problem with you testing the brakes 'old style'

If you choose to test by the latest method, or you are using an ATL lane then you should chock the wheels during the brake test.

Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2013 01:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Hi, good luck with the training, but I think you have it the wrong way round. It makes more sense to check for & record max effort & THEN slowly apply the brake to about 75% of max effort hold to check for judder then SLOWLY release pressure on the pedal to check for even release.
The vts device calculates imbalance & you make a decision on judder & excessive fluctuations.
Hope that helps ;)

Posted: Sun Sep 29th, 2013 10:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jamil

Mana: 
Thanks

I have had a read and from what i can gather the brake testing routine is as follows...

Run both rollers and check for bind on front
Press service brake to just before lock up/max--Hold it---then slowly release pedal
Run both rollers and press service brake until lock and record details

Now repeat all steps on rear wheels for service brake
Run both rollers and check parking brake to lock/max

Does the above seem right?
Am i missing anything out?

The problem with the above method is the wheels slip out of the rollers.
The trainer at vosa agreed to this and said on the demo just say to the examiner you are using the old method and he should be ok. Now im still confused.

Posted: Sun Sep 29th, 2013 09:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
bimmer

Mana: 
here is a link to that special notice.  

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-special-notice-03-13

and here for 3.7 of the testers manual.

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s03000701.htm

Last edited on Sun Sep 29th, 2013 09:23 am by bimmer

Posted: Sun Sep 29th, 2013 03:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
DB9

Mana: 
Hi Jamil

You would be advised to read special notice 03/2013 on the VTS device, and read section 3.7 of the current test manual as the method you are using is now obsolete.

I am aware that another special notice regarding brake testing is also on the way, so I would also keep an eye out of that on the VTS device also.

Posted: Fri Sep 27th, 2013 06:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jamil

Mana: 
Hi all, i have my demo test coming up soon but just a little confused about something...

When testing the brakes i have been taught to first straighten car on rollers then check the service brake on osf then nsf and make a a not if they lock.

Then service brake on osr and then nsf-Check if it locks

Then osr and then nsr parking brake.

My question is, is all the above ok to do in the demo test or do i have to also check rate of increase/decrease and check for out of balance with both rollers spinning? The problem with this is the wheel slip out of the rollers.

On the 3 day course i done the guy said if the wheel slips out you dont have to do it?

Could anyone tell me step by step what would be ok to do as there has been some change to section 3.7/3.8 in the manual to do with this. Im not full understanding it at the moment. Dont want to do the demo test for the the examiner to say thats the old way to do it and you missed out so and so.

Current time is 07:36 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > Training and Seminars - Reviews, Dates, Questions | MOT Forum > Demo test/Roller brake test question Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems