AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 4th, 2014 01:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Stealth wrote:
Audi A6 Quattro Avant auto is the closest I could find doing a VSI search, EPB can be tested in an RBT. I tried to post a photo of the VSI but the attachment is too big.

From memory the rbt is the only way to test the VW/Audi epb.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Jun 4th, 2014 01:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Audi A6 Quattro Avant auto is the closest I could find doing a VSI search, EPB can be tested in an RBT. I tried to post a photo of the VSI but the attachment is too big.

Posted: Sat May 31st, 2014 04:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote: Going back a bit is an applied test allowed on class 4, if you are sure that it won't damage your brake tester?
Don't quote me until I've had chance to log in to a VTS device & look through some VSI info on the Audi range. ;)

Posted: Sat May 31st, 2014 03:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
[user=19175]DB9

Not yet, but will keep you informed provided the thread doesn't go missing like the other one:?

Nothing has 'gone missing' ...

Posted: Sat May 31st, 2014 02:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
DB9

Mana: 
Stealth wrote:
DB9 wrote:

I'll have a word with Audi later this week and see what they say??

Interesting to know if you have asked and had an answer. I've asked a couple of colleagues but they have no info either ?

Not yet, but will keep you informed provided the thread doesn't go missing like the other one:?

Posted: Fri May 30th, 2014 11:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Glad you liked it,it took me back over 40 years, guess that level of noise has long been outlawed.
Going back a bit is an applied test allowed on class 4, if you are sure that it won't damage your brake tester?

Posted: Fri May 30th, 2014 10:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote:
Nothing like the sound of those old ts3 Commer http://youtu.be/e0sLp7wvq60

We do like that clip kit. Especially when it comes into the 'powerband'

:D

Posted: Fri May 30th, 2014 02:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Nothing like the sound of those old ts3 Commer http://youtu.be/e0sLp7wvq60

Posted: Fri May 30th, 2014 01:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
They were fitted to old Bedfords and Comma's. You won't see any nowadays.

Posted: Fri May 30th, 2014 12:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Stealth wrote:
kit1958 wrote:
vehicles with air brake systems with spring brakes & another system, the name of which I have forgotten, maybe someone with recent hgv test experience will help, mine is a little rusty

Lock actuators kit.;)

Thats the one, thanks for the memory prompt.
I don't recall ever seeing those though, are they ever used?

Posted: Fri May 30th, 2014 12:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote:
vehicles with air brake systems with spring brakes & another system, the name of which I have forgotten, maybe someone with recent hgv test experience will help, mine is a little rusty

Lock actuators kit.;)

Posted: Fri May 30th, 2014 12:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
DB9 wrote:

Interesting to know if you have asked and had an answer. I've asked a couple of colleagues but they have no info either ?

Posted: Tue May 27th, 2014 01:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
DB9

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote:
An "applied brake" test is fairly self explanatory really, the brake is fully applied & then the rbt is started with the efforts recorded.
This, as far as I know, is reserved for hgv/psv testing for vehicles with air brake systems with spring brakes & another system, the name of which I have forgotten, maybe someone with recent hgv test experience will help, mine is a little rusty now.
To the best of my knowledge this moi is not mentioned in the class 4/7 manual which is why I wondered if it is permitted on an Audi, clearly a small class 4, when I have read that the only approved moi for the epb fitted to VW/Audi is a RBT.

Thanks Kit, the above explains why I didn't understand.

Posted: Mon May 26th, 2014 11:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
An "applied brake" test is fairly self explanatory really, the brake is fully applied & then the rbt is started with the efforts recorded.
This, as far as I know, is reserved for hgv/psv testing for vehicles with air brake systems with spring brakes & another system, the name of which I have forgotten, maybe someone with recent hgv test experience will help, mine is a little rusty now.
To the best of my knowledge this moi is not mentioned in the class 4/7 manual which is why I wondered if it is permitted on an Audi, clearly a small class 4, when I have read that the only approved moi for the epb fitted to VW/Audi is a RBT.

Posted: Mon May 26th, 2014 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
DB9

Mana: 
kit1958 wrote:

Is an applied brake permitted I'm pretty sure that isn't mentioned as a moi except for spring brakes ??

Please explain what you mean above, I don't understand?

I have had the opportunity to search through VSI now and can confirm that the automatic Q5 model is not listed and no VSI information available.

I have had other makes of vehicles permanent(4 x 4)were the road wheels have turned in opposite directions when rotated on the ramp, and I have never tried to roller brake test these types on our rollers as I am sure that damage could be caused.

I can only think there must be some type of bedding mode to set these vehicles in to test the park brakes?

Posted: Sat May 24th, 2014 02:29 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
kit1958
Trade Member

Mana: 
Last time I tested a 4x4 Audi I did a decel test on the service brake & a rbt on the park brake, I think it was a A6 but can't be sure. Pretty much as vsi says.
Is an applied brake permitted I'm pretty sure that isn't mentioned as a moi except for spring brakes ??

Posted: Sat May 24th, 2014 01:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Have you done a VSI search for similar models. The A6 Quattro of similar age will probably have a common drive train. Maybe there is some relevant info.

I remember some info about the electronic diffs not kicking in until 6Kph but that could have been for the TT model.

Posted: Fri May 23rd, 2014 11:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
DB9

Mana: 
I certainly won't be telling you that you are wrong Stealth by any stretch of the imagination:D because I genuinely don't know what the correct procedure is to test the park brake on this model.

The problem became obvious to me at the point when I was turning the RHS rear road wheel checking the tyre, at that point (already new it was four wheel drive) as the opposite road wheel turned in the opposite direction, and a roller brake tester designed to test four wheel drives will turn the opposite road wheel in the opposite direction, thus allowing the car to be tested using the rollers, however our rollers are not suited to four wheel drive vehicles, hence I did not want to take the risk of running both rollers together.

So there must be a setting procedure to put the park brake into some type of bedding mode to test the park brake without the service brake intervention, otherwise it could be thought that the park brake operates on all four wheels, which is obvious it does not, or is not suppose to!!

:)

Posted: Fri May 23rd, 2014 02:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
I can recall watching a tester doing a demo on an Audi 4wd estate. Not sure what model but he tested the parking brake by the applied brake method, and was familiar with the model.

Rear wheels in the rollers. Parking brake applied. Front wheels chocked. Then run each roller briefly to obtain a reading.

Tapley test for service brake but not parking brake as the electronics sensed the car was rolling & would not fully apply the parking brake.

You certainly have no grounds to refuse to test.

Take time to think about it and perhaps phone the helpdesk before you jump in & tell me I'm wrong.

I'm not going to clarify it for you as I'm on leave.

:P

Posted: Fri May 23rd, 2014 02:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
DB9

Mana: 
Does anyone know how we test the electronic park brake when the roller brake tester cannot be used on these models?

A decelerometer test suggests that the way the vehicle reacts that all brakes are applied when applying the park brake button?

I could not use VSI because this model was an auto box and Comp would not allow me to select the correct variant, hence no instructions were available.

Refuse to test or??

Current time is 03:53 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Technical Forum > Technical Discussions - Description | MOT Forum > Audi Q5 Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems