Helping out with the MOT  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Sep 10th, 2016 12:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
like he said back in the day this was normal,interesting point about h+s tho,dunno how wed stand in the event of(god forbid)any problems.its in the manual so we gotta do it if asked.another reqmnt that I would have thought h+s would have a problem with is a reqmnt not to have an exhaust extractor close enuff to do any real good when conducting a smoke test but that's a different niggle.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Sep 10th, 2016 10:39 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
billysally208

Mana: 
castrolrob wrote: yup,the driver can operate the controls if he wants and the testers ok with it,its mainly to cater for the oddball/vintage motors with weird controls but there isn't anything limiting it to that.dont happen often tho and the guys other option was to not to test at all assuming it wasn't a one person test lane.Ok, Thank you for your reply, I suppose my Vauxhall Corsa could be described as a bit of an oddball with weird controls, lol
Seriously, I was grateful he did the test, I've been going there for over 40 years and as said previously in the early days you were expected to sit in and do the necessary.
I was just curious, as with todays H & S, I thought it wouldn't be allowed.
Suppose I could have asked for my hourly labour rate to be deducted from the fee.

Posted: Sat Sep 10th, 2016 10:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
yup,the driver can operate the controls if he wants and the testers ok with it,its mainly to cater for the oddball/vintage motors with weird controls but there isn't anything limiting it to that.dont happen often tho and the guys other option was to not to test at all assuming it wasn't a one person test lane.

Posted: Fri Sep 9th, 2016 06:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
billysally208

Mana: 
I am asking this out of curiosity, rather than having a problem with it.  I took my car for it's MOT recently and on arriving at the appointed time was told that the testers assistant was not available to participate and would I be prepared to sit in the car and follow the instructions of the examiner, operating the lights, indicators, horn, and then when the car was raised up on the ramps to apply the brakes, and move the steering from side to side, etc.
I didn't have a problem with this, as I remember years ago when this was the norm and often did this. I am just curious to know if this is catered for in the regulations.
The car passed by the way

Current time is 01:57 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > Helping out with the MOT Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems