Airbag light  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 12:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
if the airbag lights indicating a fault while they test it then yeah itll fail.i don't recall nissans that age having two airbag lights,do you mean the dash one goes off then comes back on when your started?cos that's the sequence for em indicating a fault.some nissans are a pig to get codes out of without dealer level software/equipment.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Feb 4th, 2019 09:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
cooperman43

Mana: 
I have a Nissan Micra 59 plate and have had issues ever since I went over a pot hole. The air bag sensor light keeps flashing but the main light on ignition for the Air bags goes off. The Garage have undertaken full diagnostic tests and have found no fault code!! Will this fail the mot even though no fault has been detected?

It could be a sensor that has stuck but the Air bag system indicates its ok. Some help would be great here

Posted: Mon Mar 13th, 2017 06:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
welcome to our world,this just one of many,light on=fail,light don't work at all=pass,balljoint play(unless severe)=pass,balljoint cover split=fail.there are dozens more.

Posted: Sun Mar 12th, 2017 01:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
wag

Mana: 
Hi,

Well at least I fixed my Corsa 2003, Airbag light, it was the Rotary Coupler or clockspring cable.  Ordered one for £8 delivered and swapped it.

Now working, light went out without having to be reset :)

I just find the advice on those various websites annoying.
I suppose the answer to the No.3 might have been given before the Manual/guidance was changed to specifically pass a bulb not working/not present.

I find the contradictory answers on passing / failing a light being on permanently to be jus annoying, how is the common man reading all of that supposed to know if his light on is a pass or a fail, and whether to challenge the tester or not.

As this was introduced through the EU Commision, hopefully it will be one of the first things to be removed after Brexit. But I won't hold my breath.

Last edited on Sun Mar 12th, 2017 01:35 pm by wag

Posted: Sat Mar 11th, 2017 04:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
depends if your familiar with the make/model etc,old Renaults for instance used to flash about 10 times if the passenger airbag was off,a lotta motors come up with a picture of an airbag with I/2/passenger off etc but some don't and some guys fail this.what they are driving at is that the light has to indicate a fault rather than a switched off airbag,pretty difficult to tell in some cases in which case pass+advise

Posted: Fri Mar 10th, 2017 06:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
spotty

Mana: 
Why would you design an airbag system to provide exactly the same warning when it is behaving as intended (unoccupied passenger seat) and a malfunction? - The answer is that you wouldn't.

You'd give the light a clear definition between the two, the light illuminates on the self check and extinguishes - system normal,  the light illuminates, flashes for 10 seconds, extinguishes - seat unoccupied/passenger airbag turned off (confirmed by switch position), the light doesn't illuminate at all.  All these are passes.

The light illuminates on the self check goes out briefly and illuminates again - this to my mind indicates a fault, which could be backed up by an information message display.

That would be my thought pattern behind making a pass/fail decision.

Posted: Sat Mar 4th, 2017 04:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
wag

Mana: 

OK this whole area is so confusing.

See here:
MOT Answers on Airbag Light
These answers seem to contradict,
1. Airbag light Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS) lamps I got an accident on vw 6n2 polo 2000 and the airbags deploy both driver and passenger but the airbag warning sign didnt appear on the dashboard I have bought used airbags and connected and there is still no warning sign. Does this means they are working fine?

A.
The manual states When testing SRS MIL Malfunction Indicator Light lamps we are only looking to see if the lamp indicates if there is a fault with the system. If no lamp is present or it doesnt illuminate then it cant indicate a system fault, so it cant be failed. Some vehicles may also incorporate warning messages on dash board displays; these are in addition to any MIL lamps and should not be used as a reason for rejection. which means you will pass the mot test whether they will work if bought from a reputable supply you should have no worries Supplementary Restraint Systems SRS lamps  should have no worries Supplementary Restraint Systems SRS lamps

2. Airbag Light:
"My light won't go off is this fail?"
A. The DVSA states Where passenger air bags are present it is also often possible to disarm them, or they may automatically disarm where there is little or no weight on the passenger seat. This may be accompanied by a lamp permanently on to highlight the airbag has been disarmed, this is not considered a SRS MIL, and therefore isnt a reason for rejection.

3. Airbag Light:
If I have a missing airbag bulb from my dashboard is that an mot fail?
A. Yes this is a fail you cannot tell if the airbag is functional.

4. Airbag Light
I have just had my airbags fitted for its mot by a registered machanic. But now my light wont go off on the dash board is it an mot failure.
The DVSA states Where passenger air bags are present it is also often possible to disarm them, or they may automatically disarm where there is little or no weight on the passenger seat. This may be accompanied by a lamp permanently on to highlight the airbag has been disarmed, this is not considered a SRS MIL, and therefore isnt a reason for rejection.

The 1st one has no light (presumably he also means no light at start-up), he has new airbags fitted and still no light... He was advised it should pass, even if it never lights up.

The 2nd one, has a light on constant...he was advised, pass.

The 3rd one says she has no bulb, she advised it will fail.  but this contradicts the answer to the 1st one and the government advice below.

The 4th one, another one that says no fail for a light on

Honest John has this:
Honest John
This is still a matter for debate amongst MOT testers but it I suggest the matter is clear. The relevant section of the MOT Testing Manual as shown on the VOSA website is here. As you can see there are two reasons for failure (RFRs) relevant to airbags:
    airbag obviously missing or defectiveSRS malfunction indicator lamp indicating a malfunction
Some MOT testers are saying that if an airbag lamp is inoperable (never lights up at all, even when ignition first turned on) then this is an RFR, but in “Special Notice 01-2013” issued by VOSA to MOT test centres in March 2013 this was specifically excluded and removed from the manual:
  • “Section 5.4, RFR 2 – SRS warning lamp inoperative has been deleted.”
This was also stated in an email from VOSA before the changes came in, as reported on the Pistonheads forum:
  • “In respect of the SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) warning lamp; a vehicle will fail if this lamp indicates an SRS system malfunction. However, there will be no MOT requirement for the lamp to actually work once these changes become 'live'.”
So whilst driving a car with possibly faulty airbags is far from ideal, an inoperative airbag light should NOT fail the MOT (refer your MOT garage to VOSA if they think otherwise). This will at least keep your car legal while you investigate and repair the light, and any faults it might indicate.

Also see
Gov website
No. 2,

The HJ post says "if it is on it is a fail"  and "If it is missing it is a pass"

But the other website says if it is on it could be on to indicate an empty passenger seat. and is therefore not a fail.   Are the empty passenger seat ones always yellow and thereby easy to distinguish, but none of the sites suggest that it would be a yellow light.  If it is a red light on does the tester check to see if the car has a passenger airbag fitted before issuing a fail?

What exactly is the situation?

How are you distinguishing between a light on being a fail for indicating a fault and a light being on (for empty passenger seat) being a pass?

Having no light at all is a pass? so the girl who said  in no.3 was given an incorrect answer?

Thanks

Last edited on Sat Mar 4th, 2017 07:16 pm by wag

Current time is 03:47 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > Airbag light Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems