Front Brake Fluid Reservoir  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Jun 19th, 2019 08:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Looking after his profit margin. Some OEM bike parts can be a tad expensive !

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Jun 19th, 2019 08:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
qazwsxqazwsx

Mana: 
Stealth wrote:
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The Manual also gives definitions of what is considered to be insecure....

10 Definition of insecure

The term ‘insecure’ is used many times throughout this manual to describe a defective condition. This term should be taken to mean one of the following:

a component has relative movement (looseness) at its fixings where there should be none

a component has relative movement (looseness) to an associated component where there should be none

a component critical to safety isn’t safely or completely attached at its fixing or to an associated component

As Paul has pointed out, the braking system is safety critical so it would probably be worth fitting a new bracket before MOT.

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I'll definitely be fitting a new reservoir once I get my hands on the bike from the dealer. Who interestingly got a bit stressed when I started giving the bike a good inspection citing the sales price indicates its not perfect and told him regardless I want to check it isn't leaking petrol or oil or has things hidden behind the fairing. He responded that he has already checked it over as selling any bike with a petrol or oil leak would be dangerous but didn't seem too bothered when I pointed out the fluid reservoir is held on with a cable tie.

The bike has an impeccable MOT history - last 7 years without even an advisory and same owner for last 11.
So I'm just boggled why it wasn't replaced :shock:

Posted: Wed Jun 19th, 2019 07:12 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The Manual also gives definitions of what is considered to be insecure....

10 Definition of insecure

The term ‘insecure’ is used many times throughout this manual to describe a defective condition. This term should be taken to mean one of the following:

a component has relative movement (looseness) at its fixings where there should be none

a component has relative movement (looseness) to an associated component where there should be none

a component critical to safety isn’t safely or completely attached at its fixing or to an associated component

As Paul has pointed out, the braking system is safety critical so it would probably be worth fitting a new bracket before MOT.

Posted: Tue Jun 18th, 2019 10:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Brakes are second to steering, maybe if in doubt get a new reservoir..ref getting a pass.

Posted: Tue Jun 18th, 2019 09:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
qazwsxqazwsx

Mana: 
Paul S wrote:
Welcome to the forum qazwsxqazwsx
Reservoir insecure or inadequately mounted is a Major fail
so would be testers discretion, personally a cable tie suggests its not sound and supported & something is amiss therefore would I would fail.
Why is it cable tied?

Thanks for your reply.

Careless previous owner I guess.

From what I can see the moulded mounting stalk on the base of the reservoir has snapped just above the mounting point.
So it's either been repaired by glueing back together then drilling a hole for the cable tie to firm up both ends.
Or just drilling a hole for the cable tie to hold it :shock:

I can't see how the damage happened - there are no obvious signs of frontal or side impact.
Or if it has had an impact which broke off the reservoir then that would have damaged many other components.
And if they've been replaced why skimp on the fluid reservoir? :?

Posted: Tue Jun 18th, 2019 09:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Welcome to the forum qazwsxqazwsx
Reservoir insecure or inadequately mounted is a Major fail
so would be testers discretion, personally a cable tie suggests its not sound and supported & something is amiss therefore would I would fail.
Why is it cable tied?

Posted: Tue Jun 18th, 2019 08:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
qazwsxqazwsx

Mana: 
Hi,

Will a front brake fluid reservoir which is secured to the mount with a cable tie - pass?

The reservoir is sound and supported by the fluid outlet and tied to the support with a cable tie.

Thx

Current time is 10:17 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Bike Testing -  Ask bike Testers about bike Testing | MOT Forum > Front Brake Fluid Reservoir Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems