New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Kit Car emissions  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sat Aug 10th, 2019 03:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul S

Mana: 
mikey if indeed you get proof of a 1979 engine at approval IE first used before 1995 the current flow diagram, followed correctly, would indeed result in a non cat test. Good luck!

Also stand to be corrected.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Aug 10th, 2019 12:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
mikey p

Mana: 
Ok. I've now telephoned dvla/Dvsa and department of transport. First two have nothing. Waiting for a call back from the department of transport wish me luck!

If I can get proof of 1979 engine at approval do you as testers have to follow through the flow diagram wrongly to be able to do a non cat test?

IE say it was first used before 1995?

Thanks.

Posted: Sat Aug 10th, 2019 07:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
as the man says with no emissions info on the logbook you use the sva ticket and he aint got one,think it then defaults to post 96 spec which is a early cat test.wasnt an issue till they did away with q regs.yup its probably an old kent/pinto whatever fitted now but the tester aint allowed to assume that being the case at sva which is why you test to the limits it was approved with.chase the ministry for a duplicate or exemption is your best bet.i as always stand to be corrected....

Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 03:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
mikey they now do not have an option to do a Non-cat test for this vehicle :shock:

would not the engine type etc gives its year away?

Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
The engine number includes coded information, which can be decoded to reveal information such as year of manufacture.

Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 03:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
and..If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that's older than the vehicle, you must test it to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine..

have you got proof of the age of the engine?

Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 03:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
not forgetting.. If a vehicle first used on or after 1 September 2002 is fitted with a different engine, you must test it to the emissions standards for the age of the vehicle.

Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 03:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
'they now do not have an option to do a Non-cat test for this vehicle. Is this true'?.No, as per chart below if the motor fails the basic emission test & there is no exact match we carry out a non cat test.

Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 02:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
mikey p

Mana: 
They did not find an exact match no. But even picking an ancient Cosworth YB as engine model, it still asked for a cat test... surely there must be another option? or any car like this would now be off the road?

It does not have a cat fitted.

Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 02:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
database= In Service Exhaust Emission Standards
for Road Vehicles

Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 01:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Welcome to the forum,

Stand to be corrected..your 1979 engine dont have a cat test, gets tested to co% 3.5 & hc 1200ppm Limits. Also Westfield aint on the database, Caterham cars are, but cant figure how the test station got an exact match if its a 1979 engine.
Point this out to them & if they dont give way appeal the MOT test failure.

Out of interest does you motor have a cat fitted?

Posted: Fri Aug 9th, 2019 11:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
mikey p

Mana: 
Hi I have a Westfield that correctly registered and that was originally SVA'ed with a 1979 engine and wears a 2000 X plate. My V5c states no emissions data to meet and I don't have a copy of the SVA certificate. Upon phoning DVLA and DVSA it looks like they have also lost the SVA certificate. When going for a MOT the other day I was handed a fail due to failing emissions due to a CAT test being performed. They have said that since the VT emissions software update recent (I guess in the last 12months as it wasn't an issue last year) they now do not have an option to do a Non-cat test for this vehicle. Is this true? or is there another option that's been missed?

Section 8 states this -

Vehicles fitted with a different engine

If a vehicle first used on or after 1 September 2002 is fitted with a different engine, you must test it to the emissions standards for the age of the vehicle.

For emission standards on kit cars, read further.

Kit cars

Kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1998 must have either Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA).

You must test kit cars or amateur built vehicles to the limits in the vehicle's registration document (V5c). If the V5c does not show any limits, you must test it to the limits of the engine fitted at the time of the SVA or IVA test.

Thanks for any help!

Current time is 08:01 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > Kit Car emissions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems