Why not just fix the fault....  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Oct 16th, 2019 08:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Obd Rick

Mana: 
Thanks for the info/insight

Glad to know I'm not alone in thinking there is a distinct lack of common sense in the current system.

Cover your bum culture rules over so many things these days

Rick

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Wed Oct 16th, 2019 07:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
I just type"under body corrosion,unable to assess some areas due to covers"you know,the most used advise we had on the pre allocated list that was promptly removed?i will never get back the years of my life ive spent typing it since.the days of it being about road safety disappeared when the system went to points based and entirely removed any discretion from the tester.now its an a**e covering exercise as much for dvsa as us tho for some reason theyre never held individually liable for their f***ups in the same way we are:shock:

Posted: Wed Oct 16th, 2019 06:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Test as presented..the 'suspect' isnt really applicable but as always stand to be corrected.

Posted: Tue Oct 15th, 2019 08:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Obd Rick

Mana: 
Indeed my boss the other tester on site did the MOT in the end, and he told me he just advised it for the non illumination.

Would be interesting if the ministry would have my back or motto if the switch was to be accidentally flicked during test...

It is what it is. I do test items as presented of course, I think it's just the moral of situations that gets to me sometimes. I'll never be a civil servant with that attitude haha!

I felt becoming a tester I'd be helping put my professional opinion and experience for safety. Just feels abit hands tied sometimes. We gotta stick to the book for uniformity I suppose.

So again just for opinions to help me decide what to do in another scenario. Do you think I would be justified in putting an advise on a vehicle for corrosion I knew was in an area but could not prove it at time of test.

Example : Suspect excessive corrosion in xxxxx area, vehicle has panels/ covers not allowing complete inspection.

Thanks

Rick

Last edited on Tue Oct 15th, 2019 08:05 pm by Obd Rick

Posted: Sat Oct 12th, 2019 07:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
yeah light not working-advise!shame they don't have an advise button-owner is a knobjockey-cos I would still be pressing it in a years time-nonstop!test as presented tho what the ministry could do you for for operating a button is open to question.suspect it would be"a modification performed by the vehicle owner"-p+a

Posted: Fri Oct 11th, 2019 07:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paul S

Mana: 
Test as presented

Thought you had to be able to demonstrate/prove the fault to fail?.so customer/presenter would have to disable the switch for it not to fail?. you aint disturbing anything by switching the airbag light on?

(new updated manual dont list the 'advisory Does not illuminate'..whats on the testing service).

Paul

Posted: Fri Oct 11th, 2019 06:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Obd Rick

Mana: 
Interesting one, would like the informed opinions of you lot.

My customer has a old rover 75 and has told me the airbag light is on. Hes not told me the fault or let me diagnose it but it's obviously more than hes willing to spend as hes instead added a switch that stops the light even illuminating. You flip the switch and the lights on/off permanently. Hes asked me if he presents the vehicle for upcoming mot with the light turned off will I fail it?

I answered I'd rather not mot it. It does bring me to wonder tho. Prior knowledge to a fault. Can I fail it even if i cant prove it? Or would I risk trouble for turning on a switch of this type and then failing the vehicle for an obvious fault? Hes the sort who would happily take an appeal form and approach Dvsa for me touching something I shouldn't.

I suspect I'll fall out with the customer over refusing to mot this vehicle which doesn't bother me
I'd rather keep my integrity. But it did spark my interest as to what to do with knowledge of prior faults, for example a hole due to corrosion in a panel you have seen before in a repair but cant see in an mot due to plastic covers etc say 5 months later

Thanks in advance

Rick

Last edited on Fri Oct 11th, 2019 06:27 pm by Obd Rick

Current time is 10:15 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Regulations - Need clarification? try here | MOT Forum > Why not just fix the fault.... Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems