New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Back box weld repair  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Dec 3rd, 2019 07:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul S

Mana: 
refused to retest it based as they said it wasn't a suitable repair..is wrong as it aint a RfR on an exhaust. as always stand to be corrected :shock:

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Sat Nov 30th, 2019 02:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Bradleynel

Mana: 
What does not being a suitable repair mean exactly?

Posted: Sat Nov 9th, 2019 08:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi & welcome to the Forum.

The tester would appear to be way off the mark in this case.

As long as the repair is "durable" ie sufficient to stop the leak, and suitable for purpose then a patch repair to the exhaust would be perfectly acceptable to meet the MOT requirements.

There are other areas where welded repairs are required to meet certain minimum standards, but these are applicable to major structural & load bearing areas of the vehicle.

You have two options, you can return & ask the tester to read the Manual & explain the grounds for refusing to retest the vehicle, or alternatively submit a complaint against the MOT result.

My honest opinion is to submit a complaint as it would appear from your post that the tester is in need of some education regards MOT requirements.

An MOT complaint form can be downloaded from the GOV.UK website. If you can complete the form, then scan & email back to DVSA it will speed up the appeal process.

Posted: Fri Nov 8th, 2019 05:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
CJLVW

Mana: 
Hi all. Quick question.

My car was MOT'd and failed on having a small hole in the back box (amongst other things). A mechanic friend of mine said he could weld the hole shut due to it being small.

He did it, but then at the car's retest the garage refused to retest it based on that as they said it wasn't a suitable repair.

Are they right? Or is it an attempt to get some money out of me?

Any advice appreciated.

Current time is 11:52 am  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > Back box weld repair Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems