split boots - pass, pass with advisory, fail  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 02:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
wow!lotsa replies!never knew we were so popular!as i mentioned originally it doesnt mean its a bad car but theres obviously a few question marks.the suspension corrosion is more an indicator of how/where its been living more than anything and is rarely bad enuff to justify a stand alone fail,the boot covers may have been deteriorated at test and split since particularly if as it looks like its been stood for a long time/come from the coast or up north,get a list of any problems/concerns and work from there with the dealer(assuming thats who you bought from)being the first point of contact.for future reference when buying summat look at the first two letters of the reg assuming post 2001.those letters are an area code for where it was registered,theres an online gov.uk register of all the locations,my area for instance is kj/kl/km.its not a hard and fast rule(it may have moved/been sold elsewhere after) but if its registered(for instance)scotland or north east/west/wales/coastal then theres more rain/cold weather/salt on the roads and hence a higher chance of corrosion/deterioration,could be a useful indication of its possible condition.previous mots can be useful also,if it had a dozen advises 2 yrs ago and now has little or none then that could be an indication of skullduggery but at the end of the day always get it looked at by someone independant preferably prior to purchase,an mot is done to a MINIMUM level and is sometimes not a good indicator of its condition.a motor in that age range/type is almost always gonna have been heavily used and finding a good example can take ages.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 02:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
TracieG

Mana: 
Thanks for the reply, there were a couple if advisories for the handbrake at limit and corrosion on back plates but nothing at all about the suspension. the others are fairly minor in the scheme of things but faulty suspension is a whole other ball game especially as i intend(ed) to camper convert so it needs to be able to take the extra weight. Now Ive got a Pass from the MOT, fail from my garage and 2question marks from you guys an independent inspection is definitely in order, I can still reject the vehicle at this point as long as i have grounds and dealer can have the argument with MOT tester. First time I have bought second hand, always had family vehicles before!

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 09:13 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Stealth
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Hi TracieG & welcome to the forum.

Wise words from rob, a 13 year old vehicle with no MOT advisories is worth some caution. It would be worth checking the MOT history to look at the last test for comparison.

The MOT Manual lists a failure for ball joint dust covers in a condition that would allow the ingress of dirt etc.

Your photo in my opinion shows the dust cover would most likely meet that criteria (subject to a physical inspection.

I would certainly recommend a further inspection bearing in mind there are time limits on submitting an appeal over an unsatisfactory MOT. It may be worth a having further MOT if you know a reputable local site & using the results to approach the dealer you purchased the vehicle from.

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 07:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
castrolrob
Trade Member

Mana: 
depends on how they looked in situ,we aint allowed to dismantle it so if they appear(lets say)perished while in the normal running position it could have passed.there used to be an advise called "cover deteriorated"which has now changed to "SEVERELY deteriorated"which as its technically a fail even tho minor makes some testers loathe to use it.having said all that i would have advised em and the corrosion at the very least,has all the appearance of not having done a lot for a long time,parked up,camper conversion,that sorta thing.a last note,im assuming you have an mot pass no advises?on a 3 ton working van?13 yrs old?probably 100 ish k?me?i would have smelled a rat,vans that age so mint theres f*** all wrong with em?they dont exist son!its called caveat emptor-buyer beware.dont rely on a mot for the vehicle condition(cos its to a way lower standard than you think!) particularly one supplied by the vendor,always get an independent exam done.dont mean its a bad van,just means the dealer wanted it to look as good as possible on paper and keep in mind that advises to a large extent aint compulsory.

Posted: Thu Jun 4th, 2020 05:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
TracieG

Mana: 
Whilst having a towbar fitted I asked the mechanic to have a look around underneath on my recently purchased 57 plate VW transporter T32 2.5 whilst it was up on the ramp. The garage pointed out that the front suspension had split boots, they were surprised when i said it had a nice shiny new mot and stated they would have expected their garage to have failed it. I know there have been changes to MOT in the last few years so is he working off memories old test criteria or have I bought a van with a dodgy MOT. There also seems to be heavy corrosion but Im not sure if it in areas that count from an MOT point of view. Looking at the attached photo example would you have expected it have passed, passed but with advisories or failed. I am trying to work out if I need to get a proper inspection done and a serious conversation with the dealer.

Attachment: split boots 2.bmp (Downloaded 59 times)

Current time is 04:39 pm  
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Public Category (Ask questions about your car and the MOT) > Pass or Fail? Ask about your car and the MOT | MOT Forum > split boots - pass, pass with advisory, fail Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems