board_home 

Visit the
UK MOT Testing
Industry Portal

Moderated by: Stealth, MOTman, KevG, bimmer Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Minimum Test Fee  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Apr 24th, 2013 05:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
original origin

Mana: 
I think it is more of an issue with the amount of autherisations there are now it just dilutes the market and creates an environment for corruption.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Fri Apr 20th, 2012 01:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
motorhead
Trade Member

Mana: 
ide like nothing better than to charge a good wack, easier said than done when theres 6 more stations within 2 miles and im of the main road, ok i can up my charge tomorrow and still have my usual clientell coming thru the door but ide probably lose my traders, and when theres wages to be paid its difficult,.

Pity we aint got a gordon ramsey in the MOT industry to come help us ey lol

Posted: Thu Apr 19th, 2012 03:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Aylesbury Jock

Mana: 
This has been covered before and I gave same reply then as now. If the fees are fixed, you will see an MOT bay spring up at the side of every tesco, sainsbury, morrison etc. Get your mot while you shop, and we'll throw in a bottle of plonk or whatever other freebie they care to. You can't. They are just waiting for the price to be fixed, so that the customer base is guaranteed, because there will be no one able to undercut them. What are you going to do to fight that? I repeat, be careful what you wish for cos you just might get it, those customers will be coming from somewhere. On the other hand, where did that C.V. of mine go? They'll need to hire testers from somwhere.:D

Posted: Tue Apr 17th, 2012 06:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Favell
Trade Member

Mana: 
I would like to see a fixed price MOT fee. I am now one of the more expensive test stations in my area at £48.00, we've held that price for a few years now.

I've got a few places not too far from me that are charging less, one is charging £25.00 to retail customers. And a national fast fit chain doing £99.00 MOT and service, (although how you can do a proper service for £99 is another matter).

I don't think I've really lost any custom to them, we provide a good polite service, we are more than happy to explain what has failed and why, give advice on how to repair the fault. We have a smart, clean comfortable waiting area / reception.

Obviously we would like to get all the repair work, but if a customer wants to take it away and sort it out himself it's better if we give him advice on what is required. Customer feels better about it, and hopefully we only see it once again for a retest, then for next years test.

The important thing is to offer a level of service that is the best that you can. Then most people will be willing to pay that little bit more to be treated like a real person deserves. At least the type of customer that you want coming back.

All the best for you in the difficult early times, and keep at it.

Fav

Posted: Tue Apr 17th, 2012 02:59 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
smeltd

Mana: 
i think the mot test fees schedule should be law
if its illegal why cant i get cheaper road tax by shopping around the post offices there isnt an arguement there
its simply it trade being silly try and buy a bag of cement how much can u save after shopping around not likely

Posted: Thu Aug 7th, 2008 11:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
KevG wrote:  Illegal budget tyres.

What was up with the tyre's then Kev?? 

Posted: Thu Aug 7th, 2008 11:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
KevG
Super Moderator

Mana: 
Had one in today, carbon Fibre bonnet, TV etc, Illegal budget tyres.

Posted: Mon Jun 30th, 2008 04:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
paperchase1968

Mana: 
They have learnt to get there pension from chip n pin most of have a mobile But sayin that they aint the problem coffin dodgger books in 99% turns up its the -ankers that piss me of big wheels init mate tribe got a sub anit

Posted: Sat Jun 28th, 2008 09:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Spunkymonkey

Mana: 
One potential problem with a published minimu fee (for anything - not just MOTs) is this.  The big chains can always afford to drop their prices lower than a small local trader. 

If you have a maximum charge, then people like Kwik **** will generally stick close to it because that's what most of the motoring public expect to pay.  In fact, many will steer clear of cut price offers because they're convinced it'll be a cut-standards inspection - if VOSA thinks it should cost full fee then half the fee must mean half the inspection, and they wouldn't want to entrust little Hilary or Reginald's safety to that!  Misguided, I know, but it is how many people think.

If, on the other hand, a minimum fee is published by VOSA, then those same motorists will be satisfied that "the relevent authority" considers that a satisfactory inspection can be carried out for that price.  The national chains and dealers will easily drop to that price, possibly making up the difference on advisories (trying to be generous to them there btw) for tyres, exhausts, servicing and so on. 

So the local independent loses out to the big names, who's marketing departments are on overdrive explaining how they can "offer full / dealer quality at the minimum price possible because of their size and experience".

Posted: Fri Jun 27th, 2008 01:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
removalizer
Trade Member

Mana: 
I like the idea of paying VOSA online, trouble is there's loads of coffin dodgers round here and wouldn't know how to switch a computer on let alone get on the net.

Posted: Fri Jun 27th, 2008 04:45 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
paperchase1968

Mana: 
what would be good if customer booked online payed on line vosa set price through terminal ! Trade prove by means of refs shafts the street corner car sales men who none of us want stops the no show tribe which pisses me we book 15 per day if 1 dont show we loose a £50 really winds me up or they dont show on time 10 minutes grace or you pay half fee on top sick of the messers sooner all stations adopt the policy the better 35k for kit half a mil for a garage 10 k rates half a grand a week for a good tester f--k EM a plumber with scrap transit gets a 100 per hr total kit price f--k nothing and hes outside the pub at 4 whilst we are running cars back to punters wake up lads captive audiance 99pound down is over our time is here they gotta mend that 5 year old vectra now credit crunch what a laff !!!!best time of our lifes is days away cheers gordon 

Posted: Fri Jun 27th, 2008 03:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
paperchase1968

Mana: 
The trade isnt worth a rub mate cos one day you will get bitten in the ass they allways use the new stations make sure you cover yr back had it  bin there they get a screamer its right on your toes put your price up they wont come then the only trade you want is main dealers

Posted: Tue Apr 29th, 2008 02:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Daz

Mana: 
We do ,or should i say i do around 50 tests per week,75% retail at £49.50 and 25% trade at £38.50...And our book is always full....But theres a garage 8 mile away doin them for £20....who's doin maybe the same amount of tests for half the money....but ive noticed alot of last years mot's that i'm doin this month are ones he did last year....so i must be doin summat right....

Posted: Thu Apr 17th, 2008 03:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
with reference to your other posting, and this one, "You get what You pay for!"

Posted: Wed Apr 16th, 2008 09:46 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
abcref

Mana: 
test centres near me charge 30-40 and if it fails you take it home do all the repairs yourself take it bk they check it over n if its o.k they pass it.  the 1 we normally use love a laugh n joke and charge cheap prices

Posted: Fri Mar 28th, 2008 04:51 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Mean`t to add to this quote, "What goes Round comes Around"  and "What is made Round Will Go Around"! lol.:D l8rs. Wes.

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 05:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
Does'nt matter what you do to make the customer "feel special" your wages come from their pockets..(and i dont mean rippin em off)..like me and jim said customers come back if you offer the "Right service"..regardless of price(as Wes posted).....:D 

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 05:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
volksjim
Trade Member

Mana: 
kev1975 wrote: suppose it would level out the playing field a bit , we charge £45 for ours but a local ford dealer has just taken over a garage round the corner from us & started doing them for £20.

can't say it has affected us as we are busy anyway but somebody must be losing out because of it .

when i started with my current company eight years ago we did about 3 a day..we are now the busiest in our town booked in average two and a half weeks in advance..the secret!!! good service and banter with the customers..if it needs something simple like washers topped up or a bulb..headlamp alignment after mot is finished i repair free of charge and issue a PRS ..costs us  pennies but we charge full fee so we make up for it through that.. plus the customer remembers he got a freebie:Dwe also do a reminder service one month before customers mot is due...just treat people the way you like to be treated takes a while but word of mouth is the best form of advertisment..try not to go down the cheaper mot side..brings a lot of sheds in with the added hassels:X  i have had to limit the mot's to 11 a day but 99% are good honest motors:D:D

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 04:54 am
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Wesley
Trade Member

Mana: 
Nah 20% is one fifth, £50 divide by five? lol.

Posted: Wed Mar 26th, 2008 04:43 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
big..E.
Trade Member

Mana: 
20% off what? £20.00?..£30.00?..£50.00?..does 20% off Vosa price make You competetive in YOUR lOCAL AREA?????????????.....Bring me a shed..test it pass it £xx

money.Test it  fail it £xx money. Take the rough with the smooth,there are more good than bad these days......and thats talkin from exp. where rough means" if it got there it was lucky"...

Last edited on Wed Mar 26th, 2008 04:53 am by big..E.

Current time is 09:01 am Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
MOT Forum - The MOT Testing Forum for the UK MOT Testing Industry > Trade Category (MOT Trade Discussions) > MOT Fees | MOT Forum > Minimum Test Fee Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems